AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 5.1 STR-DE845 receiver. This unit has an option of connecting two sets of front speakers (A, B, or A+B). In the manual, under speaker selector, the A+B mentions, "A+B = The speakers connected to both the FRONT SPEAKERS A and B terminals (parallel connection)" I'm not exactly sure what this means, unless it just means you can hook up (4) speakers for the Main front L&R channels.

Now, (here's where I can get myself in trouble), this unit is rated for 100Watts per channel, does this mean that each of these (A and B) speaker outputs only puts out 50Watts each, or 100Watts each? I would like to give my mains as much power as possible.

For my mains, (I do have a center and two rears also if that makes a difference) I only have one pair of Onkyo 12" 3ways (150watts), would I want to somehow hook both speaker A and B to these mains to get max power or am I out of my mind??

The unit also has a switch on the back that offers either 4ohms or 8ohms, which is another concept I'm not quite sure about.

Any help clarifiying this would be much appreciated, as I still have much to learn about audio connections and capabilities. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
1. The output is 100watts per channel (max) in the front channel amps. It all goes to A and/or B and is shared only if you use two sets of speakers.

2. Set the switch to 4 or 8 ohms to match the speakers. Their (impedance) rating should be on the back or in the user's manual.

Kal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.