AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not believe how long I have labored over the decision to buy a tv. All I am trying to do is buy a nice television for my bedroom and I have choosen about 4 different models in the past 36 hours alone! It started out easy enough, everybody raved about the Panny TH42PD50, I was going to be seated about 10' from the set so the ED vs HD didn't really matter to me and I found it for

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same thing happened to me (and I think most of us!) when we decided to go out and research the TVs that we wanted...

If you ask me (and you are not) I'd go with the 42" Panny or the 42" Zentih ED models...bang for the buck, plasma in your face PQ, and the right size for a decent price...

If you go smaller, you'll be miserably wondering in a month if you should have bought a bigger TV set...even though the 37" would probably look just fine...

One more thing, after pulling the trigger on whatever you decide to buy: Don't keep researching which TV is best (unless you have a problem with your unit or something)...enjoy yours or you'll be as miserable as a human being can be trying to figure out what you should have done back then...

Good luck man!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacv75
Same thing happened to me (and I think most of us!) when we decided to go out and research the TVs that we wanted...

If you ask me (and you are not) I'd go with the 42" Panny or the 42" Zentih ED models...bang for the buck, plasma in your face PQ, and the right size for a decent price...

If you go smaller, you'll be miserably wondering in a month if you should have bought a bigger TV set...even though the 37" would probably look just fine...

One more thing, after pulling the trigger on whatever you decide to buy: Don't keep researching which TV is best (unless you have a problem with your unit or something)...enjoy yours or you'll be as miserable as a human being can be trying to figure out what you should have done back then...

Good luck man!
I definitely agree.

Either the PD50 or the Zenith Z42 would be the absolute best bang for buck. Forget the symmetry. As long as the stand fits (and it will on either one) you will soon forget about screen size and furniture symmetry. The PQ rules on these babies and while SD is very good...HD on these sets is superb. At your distance the 42" is the way to go and plasma is the technology that delivers the best PQ. With the Panny you have less width and with your concerns it probably makes for the best compromise. I must tell you that although a good bit wider, the sound on the Z42 is outstanding and I have yet to run TV sound through my system...reserving that for DVD play.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacv75

Good luck man!
lacv75,

Now that is great advice.

NBP,

We have all been there and have the T-Shirts to prove it. If you are still bouncing around, I would say you are not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I would spend more time looking at the units side by side IRL until you are sure of what you want.

Then when you pull the trigger, follow lacv75's very wise advice.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I still have not pulled the trigger, but I have one in my sites. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Been sort-of-paralyzed. it's tough to buy when the prices are coming down so rapidly. Been checking the boards and holding off and waiting for months... but about two months ago i decided on a specfic time to buy -- sept/oct. figure the new models will be out by then and the pre-holiday price drops will be in effect.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had the same frustration and anxiety about purchasing a plasma that you speak ofnine nonths worth. The good news is..........that as soon as you do decide you will feel so realized.

My paralysis by analysis ended when I decided that its only a TV. And yes every panel has its shortcomings and no you wont buy the perfect panel, its not out there it just doesnt exist. Just find what you like and go with it. Youll be happy you did. After all its all about watching the show, not becoming it, LOL!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was in the exact same position... I have been "shopping" for close to 5 years... LOL... I finally picked the 42pwd8uk. SD content is good enough that two of my neighbor came over and said "WOW, when did you get High Def"!! They both have HD sets and thought my picture was better than what they got at their houses... When I told them this was still SD and the HD Directv was being installed the following week they couldn't believe it...

The panny ED sets seem to do SD content very well... certainly better than the HD sets do.... and HD content from 6' or better will be virtually indistinguishable from an HD set at this screen size.

You really can't go wrong IMHO...

Go check it out for yourself...

RA

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I suspect "analysis paralysis" is almost an epidemic among flat-screen TV buyers. There are dozens of combinations and permutations available, together with mountains of statistics and recommendations from various quarters.

I spent 2 or 3 months trying to find "the" answer, and finally realized that, at the rate I was going, I'd never buy a new TV.

I more or less arbitrarily settled on a 37" Panasonic ED commercial plasma, as they had very good reputations and were several hundred dollars cheaper than other first-tier brands. I thought (and still think) 37" is plenty large enough for most people, and AFAIK they are usually a few $ cheaper than the 42" versions.

This was a couple of years ago, and since then the price of these sets has declined from $3000+ to

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

I am waiting for Sept/Oct for the 6th Gen Pio's to hit the market. From what I have read, I am leaning heavily at the PDP-5060HD with the Elite PRO-1130HD a close second.

I hope that the 6th Gen Pio will pass up the 8th Gen Panny's, since the Pio's have the greatest WAF.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker
jcinzano,

I am waiting for Sept/Oct for the 6th Gen Pio's to hit the market. From what I have read, I am leaning heavily at the PDP-5060HD with the Elite PRO-1130HD a close second.

I hope that the 6th Gen Pio will pass up the 8th Gen Panny's, since the Pio's have the greatest WAF.

Take Care,

Richard
they do sound great, though it doesn't look like their price point is going to be competitive enough for my budget. depends on what the street price shakes out to, i guess.

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

I hope that there is heavy competition driving the prices right down. ;)

Richard

·
Registered
751 Posts
I used to think that as a general rule an ED plasma displayed SD channels better than an HD panel. But after seeing SD on my Philips 9630a HD panel I have changed my mind.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are great responses - always good to know that one is not alone! Unfortunately, once I figure out which one to buy for the bedroom, I need to figure out the right 50" for the den. A high-class problem, I suppose. I think I'm leaning towards the Panny 37" consumer HD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Amen, brother. I finally just had to give in and make a snap purchase or I was never going to get a freaking tv. I'm glad I did. It's not perfect but it does the job, and a different model would have different faults. Just had to snap out of it and pick one. When my comparison spreadsheet would no longer fit on one screen, I knew I had a problem.

As for prices, they go down on known models, but features improve on new models, so they debut high again. And our Pavlovian conditioning makes our brains go limp and makes us need the newer better stuff. Combine with the option paralysis above and you have a recipe for always wanting a tv, never getting one, or paying way more than you planned for something you don't need as much as it feels like you need. I'm telling you marketing works, and it's insidious.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Technically, I never did recover from my analysis paralysis. After I did all my research (including scores of hours at BB and CC), I still could not actually buy the TV I had selected. I always figured there would be something better for less money. Plus, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of deciding on an extended warrantee. Finally, I asked my wife (bless her heart) to take care of it. I told her the model I wanted and she went off to buy it. Women are pretty good at shopping. I know it's pathetic, but it worked for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.