AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we should have a general Paramount+ thread where we can post all things related to Paramount+ streaming service to capture the stuff we don't have a thread for or for general news releases.

I searched for 10 minutes for a main thread for this streaming service or for a main CBS All Access streaming thread. Could not find one. If there is one, just let me know and I can get the moderators to delete this one.

Transiiton from CBS All Access is currently scheduled for 3/4/21.

Peak Streaming

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Paramount Plus Discounted by 58% for Current CBS All Access Customers
By Daniel Frankel 3 hours ago

ViacomCBS offers steep promotional pricing for current subscribers willing to pay for a full year upfront

ViacomCBS is offering a steep discount of its soon-to-launch Paramount Plus subscription streaming service to current CBS All Access customers willing to pay up front for a full year.

On March 4, ViacomCBS will upgrade CBS All Access much the way WarnerMedia transformed HBO Now into HBO Max, broadening a platform that includes mainly CBS local broadcast feeds, on-demand current and legacy network shows, and some originals, with the vast Viacom TV and Paramount film libraries.

CBS All-Access customers who sign up for a full year of Paramount Plus right now will pay $29.99 ($2.50 a month) for the base version, and $49.99 ($4.16 monthly) for an iteration with no commercials.

ViacomCBS is promoting this as 50% off the current $59.99 and $99.99 one-year price for Paramount Plus service.

The conglomerate hasn’t announced Paramount Plus monthly pricing. But with the promo, CBS All Access customers are actually paying 58% less on a monthly basis for the $5.99 CBS All Access base tier, while getting a 59% break on the $9.99-a-month ad-free version

Notably, the promotion only spans 12 months, so customers start paying the full freight in March 2022.

ViacomCBS is set to announce more details about Paramount Plus during a special investor event that will be held on Feb. 24, the day the conglomerate reports quarterly earnings.

Among the key details we might find out: Will Paramount Plus seemingly transition its application access on the two leading streaming devices, Roku and Amazon Fire TV? Current CBS All Access are supposed to see their apps magically transform to Paramount Plus on March 4. This plan would be pretty disrupted by any device blackouts, of course.

Also read: Paramount Plus Gets Big Chunk of Super Bowl Promo Time

ViacomCBS aggressively promoted Paramount Plus during Sunday’s Super Bowl broadcast on CBS. The network committed 30% of the 29 house ads it ran during the big game, according to an analysis conducted by MediaRadar.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I'm pretty sure anyone, not just current subs, can get in on the deal using the promo code PARAMOUNTPLUS. I plan to redeem at the end of February, just before the deal expires.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Thought we should have a general Paramount+ thread where we can post all things related to Paramount+ streaming service to capture the stuff we don't have a thread for or for general news releases.

I searched for 10 minutes for a main thread for this streaming service or for a main CBS All Access streaming thread. Could not find one. If there is one, just let me know and I can get the moderators to delete this one.
I started a Paramount+ Streaming thread in the Networks, Media and Content Streaming section a few weeks back. But that section is more for the general service and not just content specific. Moderators can decide, but I figured the one in the Content Streaming section would be more for launch information and general troubleshooting or feature talk.

There never was one concise CBS All Access thread that focused on new and upcoming content. They all seemed to be started by someone with a specific question about it working on a certain hardware platform.

·
Registered
19,403 Posts
So what's the difference between this and CBSAA? Aren't they owned by the same parent? Seems this is taking double dipping to a whole new level.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
So what's the difference between this and CBSAA? Aren't they owned by the same parent? Seems this is taking double dipping to a whole new level.
Paramount+ is a re-brand of CBS All Access. CBS All Access will be renamed as Paramount+. There will not be two (2) services.

ViacomCBS thinks the Paramount name will carry more significance as they plan a global expansion of the service. They are also pulling in much of the Viacom Network content after the completed merger into the re-branded Paramount+ service.

Reactions: Keenan

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
I'm curious how this pricing is going to work with the $9.99 CBSAA/Showtime package offered by the Apple TV Channels product. Will the new Paramount product just replace CBSAA in the package? And will the same login capabilities(CBSAA stand alone app can be used with the Apple Channels CBSAA login) be maintained?

·
Registered
19,403 Posts
Paramount+ is a re-brand of CBS All Access. CBS All Access will be renamed as Paramount+. There will not be two (2) services.

ViacomCBS thinks the Paramount name will carry more significance as they plan a global expansion of the service. They are also pulling in much of the Viacom Network content after the completed merger into the re-branded Paramount+ service.
Ok, didn't realize Paramount+ was replacing AA. Makes more sense now.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I'm guessing nothing changes...CBS-AA is just changing their name to Paramount+...same service, different logo
I agree with that, nothing changes. But, I am paid up until August of this year with my annual plan. I wonder if I would be able to extend that until August of next year by making the 50% off payment for Paramount+....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with that, nothing changes. But, I am paid up until August of this year with my annual plan. I wonder if I would be able to extend that until August of next year by making the 50% off payment for Paramount+....
I was able to redeem the PARAMOUNTPLUS coupon code. Under my CBSAA account it now indicates I have 50% off for 12 months. Whether or not I'll be charged the discounted rate when my year expires in Q3 is another question.

CBS All Access Plan
Commercial Free (Annual)

Price
$99.99/year

Discount
50% off 12 Months

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I'm curious how this pricing is going to work with the $9.99 CBSAA/Showtime package offered by the Apple TV Channels product. Will the new Paramount product just replace CBSAA in the package? And will the same login capabilities(CBSAA stand alone app can be used with the Apple Channels CBSAA login) be maintained?
I am guessing in the short term that nothing will change and it will just be a name change on March 4th.

But, after the Paramount+ re-brand is launched the bundle pricing with Apple TV+ may be short lived as they focus on Paramount+ and its expansion.

Sounds like this bundle pricing with Apple TV+ was allowed by ViacomCBS, but it was likely subsidized by Apple to bolster their content offerings with a new streaming service. I would think that in the long term ViacomCBS does not want a one-off bundle deal that is 50% less than their offering on all other services or directly from ViacomCBS.

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
I am guessing in the short term that nothing will change and it will just be a name change on March 4th.

But, after the Paramount+ re-brand is launched the bundle pricing with Apple TV+ may be short lived as they focus on Paramount+ and its expansion.

Sounds like this bundle pricing with Apple TV+ was allowed by ViacomCBS, but it was likely subsidized by Apple to bolster their content offerings with a new streaming service. I would think that in the long term ViacomCBS does not want a one-off bundle deal that is 50% less than their offering on all other services or directly from ViacomCBS.
I guess I'll wait until the 24th to see what else might be mentioned about pricing/packaging and then go for the Paramount deal before it expires. This actually brings up another question, will the Apple Channel sub be valid as a "current subscriber" with regards to the discounted pricing? I see @Zookster mentioned that it's available to everyone and not just current subs so I suppose I could just create a new Paramount account if the Apple TV sub doesn't work. I'd lose Showtime but as you note, I'm probably going to lose it anyway.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
This actually brings up another question, will the Apple Channel sub be valid as a "current subscriber" with regards to the discounted pricing?
I think that discounted pricing is for annual commitments and direct subscriptions. I have CBS AA through Prime Video Channels monthly subscription model and don't expect any type of pricing discount through that subscription model.

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
I think that discounted pricing is for annual commitments and direct subscriptions. I have CBS AA through Prime Video Channels monthly subscription model and don't expect any type of pricing discount through that subscription model.
Yes, I figured on getting the annual plan if that's what is needed to get the lower price. The Apple Channels CBSAA subscription acts as a direct subscription, I can use any stand-alone CBSAA app on any device even though I pay for it through Apple. Showtime will only work through the Apple Channels portal though, CBSAA works anywhere.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Yes, I figured on getting the annual plan if that's what is needed to get the lower price. The Apple Channels CBSAA subscription acts as a direct subscription, I can use any stand-alone CBSAA app on any device even though I pay for it through Apple. Showtime will only work through the Apple Channels portal though, CBSAA works anywhere.
Same is in place with Prime Video Channel. You can link standalone CBS AA app to Prime subscription. I remember reading that the plan was for that access to remain in place with the re-brand to Paramount+. But, that was months ago, so who knows what access methods will be available on March 4th.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Interesting, I think my CBS is billed through prime ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Interesting, I think my CBS is billed through prime ...
If it is, you can use the link below to link your Prime subscription to the standalone CBS AA app. It is a nice second access option to have.

1 - 20 of 389 Posts