AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! I'm not sure if I made a good purchase or not. I picked up a demo model of the Velodyne HGS-10 from an audio store for $1000. I've been reading online about some of the problems with the early HGS series breaking down. It doesn't say on the sub that it's an HGS-II series, but the serial number date is January 13, 2002...so it is a more recent make.

Is $1000 a good price for an HGS-10? Could I do better for the money? I like the very clean sound from the HGS-10, but I'm worried that maybe I should move up to a 12" for that amount of money.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I had an HGS-10 for a while. Liked it alot. But $1000 doesn't seem like a great price. Have you checked ebay and audiogon, and the subs for sale on HTF?

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's a $1500 or so sub, list price. You got a pretty good deal for a new unit (and I view a demo unit as a new one, unless the store was awfully hard on it). On the other hand, you can buy them used for around $700.

The original HGS had some trouble with the amplifiers, but it's easy to fix and I am told that Velodyne handles it well. I've heard of people taking the amplifier board out and sending just that back for repair, which saves a lot on shipping.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I had an HGS-10 and an SPL-12 in my home for a demo. Both subs sounded great. I kept the SPL-12 for 2 reasons. Number 1, it was far superior for HT - reaching much higher SLP levels. Number 2, I was very concerned about the HGS-10 reliability issues. I called Velodyne and the rep told me that the HGS-10 should only be used in small rooms - and the main cause of failure on the smaller HGS series was people pushing them too hard in larger rooms than they were designed for.

BTW - my dealer was selling both subs for $1000. My SPL-12 sounds great for both 2-channel music and HT.

·
Registered
799 Posts
A demo unit should carries full warranty which is especially important IF you're concern about it's reliability. Long as you like what you hear and the unit is covered for three years why worry?

I've had my HGS-18 for more than 4 years without any problem but then I only use mine sparingly with movies. Have fun. ;)

PF

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The reason why I think $1000 isn't that great is that I got a brand new one about 5 years ago for $1200, plus the fact that it isn't a current model any more. (HGS series II.) And a demo is not brand new. Might have been abused, you just don't know. You should get the warranty though.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Plus 1000 bucks for a 10 inch sub just sounds steep, period. I really dont like spending that kind of money on a 10 inch driver and an amp. For 1000 bucks demo price, expect more, like a nice quality 12 inch.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree with previous posts. $1000 is steep for a 10" sub. I paied that for the new v2 Paradigm PW-2200 in CDN dollars. It is a 12 inch sub, 400 RMS/1500 peak. I think for $1000 you can get one heck of an SVS sub hey even dual subs from svs. I think if its bothering you I would bring it back and get a new one for less. Take alook at SVS, Paradigm, HSU, Sunfire. They all have subs that will either give the Velodyne a good run for its money or put it to shame.

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You did good. The Velodyne warranty starts from the time you buy it. Play it listen for any problems and if there are none. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if u want more sub for the money, i would suggest the svs pb2-isd

i have the pb2+ and it is amazing. the pb2-isd should blow away a hgs 10 IMO.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
in total SPL maybe, but dont discount the lil HGS 10, it's a top shelf product that really gets the music right

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hsu Rosewood VTF-3...

If I had a $1000 to spend on a sub, I grab one of these and then never leave my couch. :)

That said though, you've already got the Velodyne, and unless you hear something wrong with it - ENJOY it! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Being a long-time Velodyne owner (FSR-15), I recommend plugging it in, playing it and enjoying it. Don't worry about support issues if one comes up as Velodyne will treat you right - they are an established, respected firm and their support is first rate.

$1K isn't a bad price for that fine little sub - sure you'll always see something at a lower price used, but so what? And don't worry about the "you can get. . ." posts as you already have it. The HGS-10 is a very good sub - if you like the way it sounds, then you did the right thing. Listen to spiffnme, ENJOY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.