AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am caught in another bout of terminal upgradeitis and I am interested in these two amps. I am aware that the A21 is $1500.00 more than the 5250 and the A21 has balanced inputs. I am sure there are other factors for the higher price but my biggest question is in regard to SQ. Is the SQ of the A21 that much better than the 5250? My usage is almost 50-50 now, with renewed interest in music thanks to the Dynaudio 140s I bought.


My system is in a fairly small room (13'Dx17'W with 8" ceilings). I have a Anthem AVM 30 pre-pro, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp (120x7) and Dynaudio Focus 140s, 200C, Def Tech BPx surrounds and a Outlaw LFM-1 Plus.


Thanks for any thoughts, Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Hey, Bill do you mean the A51 or A21?


Yes, besides the gorgeous looks of the Halo's there is still a sound quality difference between the Halo and New Classics. I have a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4 mated with the Halo A21 and love the match. I'm sure it will drive the 140's just fine.


As I've stated over in the Dynaudio thread the Halo's are a very good match for the Dyn's. I'm actually going to add the Halo mono amps to my personal home theater setup with the Dynaudio Confidence C1's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/0


Hey, Bill do you mean the A51 or A21?


Yes, besides the gorgeous looks of the Halo's there is still a sound quality difference between the Halo and New Classics. I have a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4 mated with the Halo A21 and love the match. I'm sure it will drive the 140's just fine.


As I've stated over in the Dynaudio thread the Halo's are a very good match for the Dyn's. I'm actually going to add the Halo mono amps to my personal home theater setup with the Dynaudio Confidence C1's.

Hi Tony,


Thanks for your thoughts. I am thinking about the A51 (or 5250) to replace my BA A7200. I had talked to Matt (AA) about the 5250 and also the A52 (with the small room) but I do not recall talking about the A51. Would the SQ between the Halo line and the Classic line be fairly significant to my not quite audiophile ears
?


I was actually thinking of a A21 with a A52 combo (to give me 7 channels) but was concerned with the lower power for the center channel. With the amount of 2 channel music I have been enjoying lately I thought the extra power would be nice. Do you think having a lower powered amp for the center to be an issue?


Sim Audio and Bryston are pretty much out of my budget. But I think the Parasound (probably the Halo) would be just fine for me. Thanks again for your help.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
The sound quality difference to me was minimal. I think cosmetics, balanced inputs and slight sound improvement are what you're paying for with the Halo line. I have the 5250 amp and love it. Very dynamic sound out of my Klipsch system with that amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/0


The sound quality difference to me was minimal. I think cosmetics, balanced inputs and slight sound improvement are what you're paying for with the Halo line. I have the 5250 amp and love it. Very dynamic sound out of my Klipsch system with that amp.

rlhjr34,


Thanks for your thoughts. Did you get a chance to listen to both the Halo and Classic line? What are you using for a pre-pro? My concern is that the SQ difference between the two is not enough to justify the additional cost.


I like the looks of the Halo but most of my components are black. Having balanced inputs would be a plus with the AVM 30 but the amp is positioned right under the AVM 30.


Thanks again, Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
I'm using the Classic Series 7100 processor. I wrestled back and forth on these quite a bit. I did get to sample both at my local dealer. I think that you can hear a difference between the two, however for me the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost. YMMV. I also have black electronics in my rack and that also helped sway me a bit. It came down to cost for me and even though I could afford the Halo series I decided to save the extra dough and put it into other areas of my setup (projector etc.). The best way I can put it is with the sound quality of the Classic series setup I have I can't recall a moment in my theater where I said I wish I had spent the extra money on the Halo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/0


rlhjr34,


Thanks for your thoughts. Did you get a chance to listen to both the Halo and Classic line? What are you using for a pre-pro? My concern is that the SQ difference between the two is not enough to justify the additional cost.


I like the looks of the Halo but most of my components are black. Having balanced inputs would be a plus with the AVM 30 but the amp is positioned right under the AVM 30.


Thanks again, Bill

Bill I purchased a 5250 and have noticed a great amount of more things/detail in both music and movies with the Yamaha RX=V1 as the pre-pro.


I play it loud all the time and it doesn't get hot; its warm but not a heater. I say go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I can rule out the A51 as it is about 1/2"- 3/4" too deep for my rack
. Its down to the A52 or 5250. I have to see if I can move my A7200.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/0


I'm using the Classic Series 7100 processor. I wrestled back and forth on these quite a bit. I did get to sample both at my local dealer. I think that you can hear a difference between the two, however for me the difference wasn't enough to justify the cost. YMMV. I also have black electronics in my rack and that also helped sway me a bit. It came down to cost for me and even though I could afford the Halo series I decided to save the extra dough and put it into other areas of my setup (projector etc.). The best way I can put it is with the sound quality of the Classic series setup I have I can't recall a moment in my theater where I said I wish I had spent the extra money on the Halo.

I'm actually looking at that unit myself

Black- with nice clean lines.


How do you like it?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top