Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a HKAVR 7500 (5 x 100, 7.1). I am in the process of buying speakers. A friend has offered me a Parasound AVC 2500 / HCA 1205 combo for a bit more than i paid for the HK. I am getting the Parasound combo cheaper because this is the AVC 2500 & not the 2500 U.

I would like to know:

1)Is it worth returning the HK for the Parasound? The HK is the newer amp, although the Parasound sounds better (I have heard the same setup with a friend). the Parasound is a 5.1 while the HK has an option of a 7.1 by adding a stereo amp. the Parasound combo is obviously a lot more expensive (although much cheaper than it used to be a couple of years back)

2) Will I feel outdated very early with the Parasound? I like the HK sound but the Parasound is a lot cleaner sound, but no PL II.

3) What is the difference between the 2500 & the 2500U?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Well I can answer a couple of things. I've got the older 2500 and 1205 sitting in a closet. The U has upgraded bass management features. You can select different Xovers. The older 2500 has a set crossover of 80. The newer model also has high bandwidth video switching. (HD). You can not run a High Definition signal through the older 2500.

The 2500 can be upgraded to the 2500u. Pricing and details are on Parasound's website. As far as 6.1 (7.1) Parasound does sell another box that will allow your 2500 to do Surround EX, DTS ES, etc. I thought it was pricey, however.

I lived with the 2500/1205 combo for 3 years. I wanted to upgrade to 6.1 and have HD video switching capabilities. For me it was a better choice to buy something new instead of spending the money to upgrade the 2500.

I guess it depends on what your paying for the 2500/1205 and how important 7.1 and bass management is to you. (I'm not familiar with HK pricing). There are better sounding processors out there right now. I have a Atlantic Tech. P2000 processor which sounds better than the Parasound 2500 in every way, and has much more flexibility. The Outlaw 950 and P2000 are suppose to be the same processor. You can get the Outlaw for under $1000.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Dormie

HD does not matter, as there won't be any HDTv where I live at least for the next 5 years. Probably never.

Bass management might be a slight issue, but i am planning to get a very good sub (maybe Rel). Does it matter if the crossover is at 80? Do you need to send lower frequencies to the main speakers?

In dollar terms, I paid about $1300 for the HK & the Parasound combo costs about $2400. How does the Parasound perform and is it reliable? (Service out here might be a problem) It definitely sounds cleaner than the HK (which I liked better than Denon, Yamaha & Onkyo)

The other brands you mentioned are just not available here.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
No you don't really need to send anything lower than 80 to your speakers. With a good sub I don't think you would have any serious bass issues. You would just need your mains to handle freqs. above 80. Your sub would do anything lower.

As far as reliability I never had a problem with the 2500 or the 1205 amp. As far as performance I have not auditioned a great number of processors and receivers. I did enjoy my time with the 2500/1205. From what I've read, Parasound products are well regarded.

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Current used values are ~ 750 for the 1205 and ~ 1000 for the 2500. If can get them for a little more than the 1300 you paid for the HK, you got a good deal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are new & not used. Sold directly by the dealer here. He has a couple of units which remined unsold. Out here in India, there are duties which makes the products much more expensive than in the states. The Onkyo 989 sells here for $3200 and the Denon 3802 for $1800, to give you an example.

I will check out the Parasound website again to see how much the upgrade costs & whether it can be done here in India.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The H/K is a better value IMO, and an easy choice if you want 7.1 format. The Parasound amp will be somewhat more powerful than the H/K, but if you use a sub for everything below 80 Hz probably not enough to really notice unless you play your system really loud. FYI I am using a H/K AVR520 as a pre/pro for HT and find it very good - good enough that I am selling a Bryston SP-1 and Lexicon MC-8 because, while they were definitely better they were not worth the huge difference in cost, and because neither satisifed my 2 channel music. I should add that I use a Citation 7.0 in bypass mode for my 2 channel and it is more transparent than either the Bryston or the Lex. The Lex especially was a disappointment there. It is outstanding on movies and music in surround mode, but again I can't justify the added cost, which is enough to buy a 42" Plasma TV.

Dsmith

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for me the difference between the HK AV reciever & the separate pre-power Parasound is about $1000. The HK 7500 only processes stereo sound into 7.1 & not 5.1 to 7.1 (Majority of my software is likely to be 5.1 for some time to come). I think the bass management might be a slight problem, but i believe it is upgradeable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.