AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting new equipment for a dedicated home theater. One area I need help in is with the preamp processor. I thought I had it narrowed down to the Classe SSP60, Bryston SP1.7 or maybe Anthem AV20 and finally the C2 from Parasound. I currently have a Proceed AVP which I will keep in my family room and I love the unit. My #1 criteria 4 years ago was true analogue pass thru and high quality DACs with upgradable software. My criteria today is similar in that I want the preamp to NOT convert an analogue signal from my phono preamp but I also would like to enjoy all the new multi channel audio and video formats offered.

With the recent announcements at CEDIA about the SSP60 being replaced and Anthem coming out with a new product I started searching for any other annoucements around pre amp processors and have not found anything of significance.

I am asking for any advice on any other news at CEDIA that could have significance on my decision. My criteria in no particular order are:

1. Less than $7500 US

2. Must have 2 channel and multi channel analogue pass through

3. Must have true balanced architechture

4. Would like it to be Ultra2 certified

5. Would like it to support DTS 24/96

6. Would like it to be software or firmware upgradable

7. Don't care about video switching

Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRC

1. Less than $7500 US

Any suggestions would be appreciated
I believe that the Lexicon MC-8B has these features and it retails for $7000 US, street price less in some places. For the $7500 limit, I would would consider the Lexicon MC-12B, which retails for $10000 US, but you should be able to find a dealer (with some "PM" help from forum members) that will sell it to you near the $7500 limit.

Michael

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
As an SP 1.7 owner - I'll try to answer the questions below:

1. Less than $7500 US

yes

heck yes (FYI I use an Aragon 47K phono stage). No Analog to Digital conversion! It has a seperate true pot for 2 ch bypass to boot.

Only balanced output on the 5.1 channels. The rear surrounds (the 6th and 7th channels) are unbalanced connections only. There are no balanced inputs. So the answer is probably no. The Krell stuff has balanced inputs not sure about the other brands mentioned here.

Can't recall and I'm not at home now but I'm pretty sure it is THX Ultra and not THX Ultra 2.

Pretty sure.

Absolutely - done this twice already - they send you new ICs that are user replaceable or if you aren't comfortable, you can send your unit in. Real good folks to deal with.

Has zippo in video switching. They sell a seperate video switcher if required.

From my understanding the Bryston has two sets of power supplies, one of the analogue stage and one for the digital stage. In any case, there is an internal aluminum heat sink attached to the rectifiers (sorry didn't take electronics 101). The top cover screws onto the heat sink to allow the surface area of the chassis to be used for additional cooling. After 30 minutes to an hour, the unit can get pretty hot. You will need at least an inch or more of space above and to the sides of the unit otherwise the unit may become too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The SSP60 replacement is, as I understand it, essentially the same circuit in different cosmetics. Classe's SSP60 and SSP75 both have fully balanced circuitry, including some fully balanced inputs. The 75 certainly has only one balanced 2-ch input, and I believe the 60 is the same way. Both units have fully balanced outputs on all 7 channels (5 inthe 75). All analog inputs - stereo or multichannel - go straight through and are never digitized. I know the 75 does not support 96/24 and I don't think the 60 does either.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
DRC if you have not bought yet...

The Parasound HALO C2 is a great buy at $4K MSRP imho.

PM me and maybe I can get you a better deal if you are presently N O T working with a local dealer or D O N O T have a local dealer near your location.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.