AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 5 channel amps for 80% HT/20% music and wanted to get input on whether parasound halo a52 125w amp will be sufficient to run the gallos 3.1?

I have a 16x14 room. My receiver is a Marantz SR7000.

Other 5 channel amps i'm researching:

Rotel RMB-1565 - 100w

Rotel RMB-1575 - 250w

parasound halo a51 - 250w

Wyred4sound - 5 CH (3 x 250w, 2 x 125w) (MC5(3x250,2x125))

Cinenova grande amp

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_bryan /forum/post/15515255

I'm looking at 5 channel amps for 80% HT/20% music and wanted to get input on whether parasound halo a52 125w amp will be sufficient to run the gallos 3.1?

I have a 16x14 room. My receiver is a Marantz SR7000.

Other 5 channel amps i'm researching:

Rotel RMB-1565 - 100w

Rotel RMB-1575 - 250w

parasound halo a51 - 250w

Wyred4sound - 5 CH (3 x 250w, 2 x 125w) (MC5(3x250,2x125))

Cinenova grande amp

Of the above list, odds are that the A51 is the pick. An authorized dealer, who is moving, is offering one at an attractive price, and includes the excellent Parasound warranty (which one doesn't get when one buys used): http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....channel-amp---

You might also expand your list to include Acurus 5 channel amps. Search "acurus" (leave off quotes) via this page: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch...&submit=Search

The two down-sides to the A51 are weight (80 lbs), and electricity as it runs high bias A/AB and gives off some heat. (I have a stereo A21, and not an A51, so am not that sure as to how much heat for the A51.)

I'm not familiar with the Cinenova Grande, but you can usually check basic raw specs via Augiogon. e.g. (under C): http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/manu.pl?C&1&listlttr&C

...but I don't see Cinenova listed.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your input and suggestions. I noticed that the Parasound amp is a Class A/AB amp which generates some heat. What is your opinion on the class D amps which purportedly are more efficient and generate less heat? I've read several positive posts on this forum regarding the ICE amps.

I have wood cabinet that has good ventilation, but heat is certainly a consideration for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_bryan /forum/post/15525913

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions. I noticed that the Parasound amp is a Class A/AB amp which generates some heat. What is your opinion on the class D amps which purportedly are more efficient and generate less heat? I've read several positive posts on this forum regarding the ICE amps.

I have wood cabinet that has good ventilation, but heat is certainly a consideration for me.

My own stereo Parasound Halo A21 runs warm, not hot. But I've got it out in the open.

I've seen some recent class D threads on AVS, where a 5-channel NHT Power 5 was given the nod (sound wise) over a 5-channel Parasound Halo A52.

But I'm leary of that... still bleeding edge and all that. I spent a lot of my career on the bleeding edge edge. I also don't like negative learning experiences, even though they are the most meaningful.

Backing up a bit, all of the amps you listed, in your 1st post, likely have enough power to run your speakers, especially given a smallish room.

You can generally get a good sense of how much heat an amp gives off just by looking at it. Does it have huge *externally* exposed fins? If yes, it gives off heat.

I've got an old/used 3 channel Acurus showing up tomorrow. i.e. snow permitting as I'm in Chicago.

It's an AB amp, but doesn't have externally exposed fins (they're internal with heat going through the vented top). Which is why I suggested you might search Audiogon for one of those. The price is right, and even though they are old they have a heck of a reputation.

A good amp... continues to be a good amp. Even though it is old.

Our learning system is seriously flawed; meaning that most people have now bought into the belief that new is synonymous with better/best. Which is simply not true for amp and preamp sound quality.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_bryan /forum/post/15525913

With a 5-channel A51 amp, it depends on how open your wood cabinet is.

e.g. see my post #1928 in thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...995082&page=33

If your cabinet is more closed, you'd likely want to add a whisper fan with use of an A51 amp, to move air.

I think that the answers provided by hifisponge and funkmonkey are accurate for his open wood cabinet.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks those posts were helpful-- I have a BDI avion cabinent which has doors on the front. The dimensions of the a51 and arcurus will be fairly tight (from a width standpoint) inside the cabinet, but should fit, I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts