AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Home Theater magazine's review of the Halo. Apparently they really liked it and are highly recommending it. I saw it a my local Best Buy and am going to head down there to play with it . :D

Has anyone had any experience with this unit?

It certainly looks good with that TFT screen display.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Best Buy actually carries this....I'm surprised as this is Parasound/Halo's statement piece.

We will see how the C1 stacks up against the Anthem AVM20. I am putting my money on the AVM20 because I own it:) I cannot see see anything being better until I get to a Lexicon MC-12 perhaps.

Apparently, the C1 and the Anthem AVM20 will be reviewed in upcoming issues of DVD ETC. It's Anthem AVM20 all the way baby!!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
while i do like the anthem avm and consider it a super value, i think it will be hard to compare it to the HALO that costs twice and has a cute little TFT screen. :D

as far as features go, the HALO is top of the line and makes no compromise.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The latest Home Theater Magazine review of the C1 is indeed "GLOWING". The C1 scored above 95 in all categories (with a 95 in performance and a 98 in features), and it's little brother (the C2) is very close in features/performance with the main difference being the front display, so that's your competiton for the AVM-20, and I bet it will be a great shootout!

As for the Lexicon MC-12B, which is about $10,000 retail, the C1 gives it a run for its money at almost half of its cost ($6,000 retail C1). To compare "apples to apples" here, I pulled the ratings from the Lexicon MC-12B Review in Home Theater Mag (November 2001), and well, the results are interesting! And they were both reviewed by Chris Lewis.

"Parasound Halo C1 Pre/Pro"

"Build Quality - 96"

"Value - 95"

"Features - 98"

"Performance - 95"

"Ergonomics - 97"

"Lexicon MC-12 Preamp/Processor"

"Build Quality - 96"

"Value - 92"

"Features - 99"

"Performance - 98"

"Ergonomics - 95"

I wish there was an Anthem Review from the same source. I did a search, but came up with nothing. If you wanted to do an average of the above ratings, the Paraound beats it by .2 :D It's purely numbers. The real treat is test driving them both and making your own decision!

You really can't go wrong with any of these choices. Hell, I had the MC-12, AVM20, Aragon Stage One, B&k Ref-50 and Arcam AV8 on my list of pre-pros (guess I like silver!!!) before I found out the C1 was perfect for me. It's a tough decision which comes down to preferences, pocketbook and most of all how it works (read: sound/performs) for YOU.

Oh, and uh, yeah, the whole selling at Best Buy bit was a joke. Just FYI. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry the best buy thing is not a joke. I saw the c1 there a month ago. I remember it because of its TFT display and the fact that prior going to best buy i had seen the parasound advertisment in a magazine.

I live in CA

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, about lexicon vs parasound:

Not taking into account price/value i think lexicon is a better perfomer, although not by much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Although I do not know 100% that Best Buy does not carry any Parasound/Halo equipment, I would bet on it. Are you who claim to have seen the C1 at Best Buy possibly confusing it with Good Guys? I know for a fact Good Guys carry it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikeyb you might be right, I do get them confused quite often.

either way i have seen it either at good guys or best buy.

but NOT at circuit city.

lol

thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
662 Posts
If I recall, one of the reviewers for DVD ETC who frequents this board as well, had the Halo C2, AVM20 and Krell Showcase on hand for review. From a strictly sonic perspective, his conclusion was the Krell, Halo C2 and then the AVM20, in that order. Of course, this is someone's opinion so YMMV. There was a link to the review in the long Parasound thread, but I think they erased the conclusions before the magazine came out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL sorry but i dont see the distinction between best buy, good guys or circuit city for that matter. They mostly employ uninformed salespeople.

anyway....

gnite all

:)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HIB
...They mostly employ uninformed salespeople....
VERY true...:)

although the quality of GG offerings is a bit better than CC and BB offerings...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have never owned a Parasound product but they always get good reviews. Unfortunately, I have seen enough QC problems and noise/hum issues mentioned at various forums that I don't think I would consider them in the Lexicon league in that regard. Someone on this forum mentioned the TFT display is of very poor quality also. Maybe the Halo line will improve on that history also. I hope so.

Dsmith

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HIB
I just read Home Theater magazine's review of the Halo. Apparently they really liked it and are highly recommending it. I saw it a my local Best Buy and am going to head down there to play with it . :D

Has anyone had any experience with this unit?

It certainly looks good with that TFT screen display.
Home Theater magazine in my personal opinion is a joke. Everything they review always gets at least an 85% or better for performance.

Stick to more critical magazines like The Perfect Vision or Widescreen Review.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Rein
Anthony,

You should read before you come in here blazin' with your flamethrower....

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?162

Enjoy.

;)

GO STARS!!!!
Yeah, but does Cyberhome advertise in their magazine? :D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Damn, saying that they "skew" their reviews just because they advertise in them is just not right.

Well, I guess Lexicon, Parasound, Anthem, Yamaha, Marantz, etc. are just garbage then. :rolleyes:

Seriously, give credit where credit is due. I doubt that Home Theater Magazine writers go, "Okay, let's see here, what product is coming out that doesn't advertise in our magazine...hmm, look here, Cyberhome. Let's give it an ass review." or "Ah, look here, Arcam (Lexicon, Parasound, etc.) they give us healthy budgets. 96. 94. 95, etc." Whatever.

I'm SURE that the manufacturers are DYING to give magazine reviewers crappy products to review. :rolleyes: You do know that they (read: manufacturers) select what THEY want to give them. NOT what the reviewers WANT. A little FYI for ya. ;)

Again, gotta love the flamethrowers on the forums lately.

Chris "Flamesuit ON" Rein

·
Registered
479 Posts
The C1 is overpriced.......must be that display.

The real deal is Theta, Lexicon or Meridian.

After that, the following is relatively equal with esthetics and features being the only real deal.

Anthem AVM20

Halo C1

Halo C2

B&K Ref 50

Aragon Stage One

Krell Showcase

Integra RDC-7

The rest trail in comparison to the above.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:
The C1 is overpriced.......must be that display.

Oh god, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Looks like someone is trying to justify their own purchase. :(

Blatent remarks like that, especially when you probably have NEVER heard the C1 (or C2 for that matter) is just ignorance.

And since this topic has turned in to a forest fire (read: jealous rage), how on Earth could you put that Anthem under the aesthetics category? :p

On a serious note, I'll agree with you on the Lexicon MC12B. It is one mighty fine piece. I'll let the others chime in on the Meridian and Theta. They don't have the "cream of the crop" features like Lexicon, Parasound, B&K and hell, even your coveted AVM20, but they are dead sexy and sound beautiful. I'm not going into a cost debate here. You get what YOU like and what YOU can afford. After all, you have to live with it! ;)

Chris

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
I have never owned a Parasound product but they always get good reviews. Unfortunately, I have seen enough QC problems and noise/hum issues mentioned at various forums...
I have owned several Parasound products over the years and a few other manufactures pieces.

Parasound Products:

HCA-2003

HCA-1000A (three)

HCA-1500A (two)

HCA-2205

ZAMP

CSE 6.1

SCAMP

AVC-2500

And currenty have owned the HALO C2 for 8 weeks.

I believe allot of the reported noise/hum problems are ground related. IMO Parasound products are very solid performers.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.