AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking my next big step into the upper-middle area of equipment soon. I've limped by with B&W 601,602 series and a Denon 3801 receiver, DVD 2900 player.

I'm very interested in buying a full Energy Veritas surround sound set of speakers, with the 2.3i set being the front speakers. I feel the 2.4i set are probably a little too large for my living room and I will be purchasing a Martin Logan Depth to replace my aging Velodyne anyway.

I am in love with the Parasound Halo A51 and C2 processor...buuuut they are just a little pricey. I could get them, but it will take much longer to save for the full system.

As an alternate, I am looking at the new Rotel RSP-1098 processor and the RMB 1095 5 channel amp. I am concerned that they will not be as open and spacious with the Veritas as I would prefer. I understand the Energy speakers are very neutral (it's impossible to find them for listening here in Houston or Texas for that matter) so I am curious about the combination of the Rotel with the Veritas.

If I go with the Rotel, I could practically buy the speakers and the pre/pro together for almost the same price as the Parasound gear alone.

Would the difference be that huge?

Discuss amoungst yourselves and let me know

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would go with the Rotel. I have the 1098 and it is connected to All energy speakers. I have the 2.8's, 2.0C and 2.0R. I have not heard the Halos but from what others say they sound fantastic. All I can comment on is the Rotel. Also, I would save your money on the Depth. I tried the Descent, and although it sounded great, I ended up with the SVS PB2 plus. I guess if size is a factor, the Depth would make a fantastic addition to the energy's.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First of all, I'm a big fan of Rotel and especially how they treat owners of their product. They are one of the good guys in my book.

That said, I recall hearing about a design flaw with the 1095 which resulted in a buzzing sound. At least, to my memory I did. The only reason I mention this is that you might want to check it out before going that direction. The 1098 has received some pretty outstanding reviews.

Is there any reason you want to stick to one company for both pre-pro and amp? It would be fully understandable on looks alone. Both the Rotels and the Parasound Halos look very nice when paired together to my eyes. If that's not the case, however, you might want to check out mating the Rotel with an amp by another company or possibly considering their 1075.

Hopefully though I'm completely wrong about the design flaw issue on the Rotel amp. Just seem to remember this being mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.