AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what it says. When all is said and done the specs are not that far apart. I was wondering what you guys think? Obviously the THX certification on the Parasound is worth something (how much is arguable)! :D

Parasound Specs:
Parasound Specs

Continuous Power Output - Each Channel: 220 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohms, all channels driven; 300 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 ohms, all channels driven

Current Capacity: 60 amperes peak per channel

Slew Rate: 130 V/µsecond

Power Bandwith: 5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt

Total Harmonic Distortion:
IM Distortion:
TIM: unmeasurable

Dynamic Headroom: > 1.5 dB

Interchannel Crosstalk: > 80 dB at 1 kHz; > 60 dB at 20 kHz

Input Sensitivity: 1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level; 1.5 V for full output

Input Impedance: 33 k ohms

S/N Ratio: > 118 dB, full power; > 96 dB, THX Reference

Level Damping Factor: > 1000 at 20 Hz

Power Consumption: 1500 watts

Dimensions: w 19" x h 7" x d 19 1/2", h 7 5/8" with feet

Net Weight: 85 lb.

Outlaw Specs:
Outlaw 750 Specs

Power output: 165 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.05% total harmonic distortion)

250 watts RMS x 5 @ 4 ohms (other conditions same as above)

Power output:

S/N:118 dB

Power Bandwidth:5 Hz - over 100 kHz (+0/-3 dB)

Damping factor:850 (10 Hz - 400 Hz)

Input sensitivity/Impedance:1.2 volts for full output/28 k ohms

Remote Trigger voltage:3 - 32 volts

Power requirements:AC, 115 V, 50-50 Hz

Power consumption:1,800 watts (maximum)

Dimensions (W x H x D):17 x 7.75 x 14 (inches)

Weight: 62 (lbs) 5

Need some opinions from some of you people with more fine tuned ears. If you need a speaker to use as a reference point, Lets try Diva's 6.1, C3, R3 setup.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just my useless opinion especially considering I don't own either amp.

I would buy the Parasound. IMO its a step up in the performance chain. The Outlaw is a very nice amp though. A slightly lower spec ( uglier?) ATI 1505 which is no slouch either but once again a slight step up over the 750.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Bal,

I had a similar dilemma earlier but opted for the 750 in the end. The 750 was reviewed by Brent Butterworth (former editor) of Home Theater and Thomas Norton (current editor) of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.

Both are respected, although Mr. Norton is more widely so because of his experience and impecable professionalism in the industry. But I digress. They both praised the 750 and occassionally compared it to the 2205.

In Brent's mind, the 2205 is a borderline high end amp. But he also noted that the 750 does not give up any dynamics to the 2205. Remember, the 220 vs. 165 watts is only 1.25db of difference!

For Tom Norton and SGHT, the 750 is neutral while the 2205 is a bit warm and lush (Michael Fremer noted that he could listen to the 2205 all day without being fatigued). Tom also noted that the true test of a good component is when he does not have a overwhelming desire to return to his Reference System. The Outlaw did just that.

You can read both reviews from Outlaw's site.

For me, the 750 has been an incredible performer in the past 3 weeks. It is indeed neutral, clear (without harshness), and dynamic. Coupled it's performance at $1100 and it's a steal! Remember, the 2205 is almost $900 more than the 750 . Also remember, Outlaw has a 30 day MBGuarantee! Try it, you'll like it. If not, pay shipping for it back.

Let us know what you decide?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good comments. Yes the outlaw is known to be a great performer and a steal at the price. Me, I would probably go with the Parasound on looks alone. Cant go worng with either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.