Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

Well, I think it is time for me to upgrade my current processor. In fact I've been using a Denon 3803 receiver as pre/pro, but I've saved some 3,000 bucks and think this money is enough for getting a pretty decent surrond processor.

So after a thorough research I've come to the conclusion that the Parasound New Classic 7100 is the best bang for my 3000 bucks.

This processor includes all surround modes and formats currently available (THX postprocessing modes included), its connectivity is pretty good (three component video input jacks, for instance) and upgradability has also been considered in the 7100, which will support two HDMI inputs and one output by means of a slot :cool:

What do you think? Have you auditioned this processor. Are there any other equivalent options for the same price?

Jus one comment: For the time being I can't audition the 7100, so my conclusion is only based on pure published specs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was also interested in the Parasound 7100, but have not been able to find any reviews of this processor. I am interested in hearing what others have to say as compared to Anthem, Arcam, and maybe Outlaw. I also may keep my money in my wallet until the new Pioneer Elite receivers hit the market. I am in the need for an upgrade as I am running a Pioneer VSX-D908TX that's 98' vintage.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right. It seems the 7100 has not been reviewed by any magazine at all. The Halo C1 and C2 processors have been thoroghly reviewed though, and both have deserved positive opinions.

It seems to me the 7100 has the same software and hardware platform as the C1 and C2, with due exception of autoeq capabilities which I don't need, and balanced connections which would have been a great value in the 7100.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Home Theater or Sound and Vision just reviewed it in the past month or two. Must of not looked to hard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually George, if you came to the conclusion that the Parasound is the best bang for your buck based on specs alone for $3000 I really recommend you keep looking. In fact, on specs alone, you will find the majority of the video/audio switching and surround formats available on $1500 (or maybe less) pre/pro's or even recievers.

Personally, I don't see features driving many people to pay more for a pre/pro. In fact, the receivers tend to get the newest features first. It's the sound that should be the biggest criteria for going higher in price. If you haven't heard any units yet, I wouldn't recommend you narrow your search down so much.

In terms of features I don't see anything to distinguish the 7100 from Rotel, B&K, Outlaw, Anthem, Arcam or Sherwood to name a few. All of these companies offer very well reviewed (professional and by users on this site) units in your price range. Maybe they don't all have THX, but that's far from a needed feature nowadays. Call me jaded, but I just don't believe any offers of upgradability from manufacturers until it happens so I wouldn't count that potential HDMI upgrade as a pro for the Para.

This isn't to knock the 7100, it wouldn't surprize me if it is a great sounding unit. It just seems odd to me that you have narrowed your search down to this particular item with so many other great options around that do get much more publicity so to speak and do just as much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geespot
Home Theater or Sound and Vision just reviewed it in the past month or two. Must of not looked to hard.
Did YOU find the review online? All I have been able to find are specs and threads mentioning the processor. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had this pre-pro for about 3 months and love it. I have gone from a Denon 5803 --> NAD T-163 --> Parasound, and the sound is THAT much better. I have it matched with the Classic 250W amp and Paradigm Sigs and my money could not be better spent.

I am sorry that I am not overly descriptive, but I let the sound speak for itself...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
This isn't to knock the 7100, it wouldn't surprize me if it is a great sounding unit. It just seems odd to me that you have narrowed your search down to this particular item with so many other great options around that do get much more publicity so to speak and do just as much.
Texaspledge,

Thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately many manufacturers don't have any representatives here in Mexico, so my options are somewhat limited to some brands such as Parasound, Carver and Rotel. I want to buy a pre from a brand with technical support in Mexico City.

Of course I've auditioned some cool processors such as the Rotel 1098, the Rotel 1068 and the Parasound C2. I found this latter much better than the Rotels in terms of construction quality, and Parasound's sound is a little warmer than the Rotels (at least to my ears).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geespot
Gosh, he must not HAVE. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.