AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6960 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around and see no actual Parasound owners thread, lots of off shoots, like an a51 thread and the sort but no official PARASOUND thread, so this is it! We welcome all into here that are looking, have questions about, want to buy, or want to talk about Parasound Halo, New Classic and Z series! Benefits of coming in here is finding out about new things (we've been a Parasound Halo dealer for over 6 years and have a very good one on one relationship with them) getting questions answered and talking to others and getting real life experience... i may be able to coax the Parasound guys to pop in here every so often too :) Remember keep in clean, keep it friendly and my mailbox is always open so shoot me a PM or email if you need to i answer usually within an hour or two!

Thanks for stopping in!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblasl /forum/post/15954284

Why has Parasound delayed the HDP70 until further notice?

All the new Parasound units have been delayed until everything is just right, they don't want to make the mistake of releasing units that are not 100% ready when they could have waited another 30-60 days and had all the features on it. When i talked to Parasound it sounds as though we will hear more very very shortly.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Last I heard this wasn't a "get everything just right" pause, it was a "we can't sell these in this market condition" statement with a heavy inflection of "we can't afford it right now". Also last I heard it was summer of 2009 at the earliest before they would reassess.

Do you have more recent/different information? Would appreciate more details if you do.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll /forum/post/15955314

Last I heard this wasn't a "get everything just right" pause, it was a "we can't sell these in this market condition" statement with a heavy inflection of "we can't afford it right now". Also last I heard it was summer of 2009 at the earliest before they would reassess.

Do you have more recent/different information? Would appreciate more details if you do.

i have heard nothing to that effect whatsoever i will call they guys at Parasound tomorrow and post the official answer tommorrow

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have been using Parasound amplification for well over a decade. My HCA-3500 has been a mainstay in my system throughout multiple makeovers of my system. In addition, I have a HCA-1000a, New Classic 2250, and a HCA-2205.

These other amps are actually offline awaiting a planned secondary HT.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will be getting a Parasound HCA 2205 soon

will these sound good when paired up with Onkyo TX SR 806 or 906? I only need 5.1 channels

I believe these 2 monsters are compatible with eachother right?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I use a Parasond Z amp v3 (previously used a v1). Great little product. The furniture manufacturers have caught up and now make condo sized furniture esp couches. More audio / video manufacturers should make high quality micro sized gear. If I had a choice of two similar performing components - I'd choose the smaller footprint one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskav73 /forum/post/15983025

A kind of long route to a short question for Parasound Halo amp owners/dealers:

The little bit of reading I did on electronics ('The Art of Electronics', Horowitz & Hill, 1989) explained in easy terms how to create low-noise, high quality devices, which oddly enough seem to be the same principles that JC used for the Halo amps. Based on the reading in the book, the interview with JC readily found on the web ( http://www.parasound.com/pdfs/JCinterview.pdf ), and some sleepless nights reading about circuit topology/design on various forums (diyaudio, AVS, audioholics), it appears that Class A can help reduce listener fatigue by making the sound more musical (less odd order harmonics). When I e-mailed the support folks at Parasound regarding the Class A biasing of the A21 & A23, they responded that the A21 was roughly 2W/ch and the A23 was roughly 1W/ch Class A biased (kudos to Tom DeFiglio for such a quick response too). That would make sense to me as the latter has half the power of the former.

However, on the diyaudio.com site, John Curl made the comment that only the A21 or JC-1 monoblocks should be considered for serious listening. He made inference to the A23 being a cheaper version of the A21 that uses his design but not his direct input.

( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...&highlight=a21 ).

Not having an authorized Halo dealer nearby that has both the A21 & A23 to audition side-by-side, I have to resort to asking for opinions on the forum for my buying decision. Has anyone heard a difference in sound quality between the two at lower listening levels (i.e. where the extra headroom of the A21 is not a factor)? Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice, and thanks to pal1982 for starting this thread.

FWIW, I am looking to buy one of these amps (A21 or A23) for my main room (about 18'x15') to drive PSB Imagine T mains (~88/90db SPL/[email protected]; 4ohm nominal & minimum impedance) full range (no subwoofer used), using pre-outs from a Marantz SR5003. Half HT, half music (classical, jazz).

Funny you mention the PSB imagine towers... we are currently looking at them as well as a handful of other speakers to list to to bring as new line our store and i was very impressed
As far as the Halo line i have the A21, A23 JC1's and A51, P3 and JC2's to go side by side... i will admit the A21 is kinda a hard to beat amp... the A23 is great... just not a critical listening amp... i would def. go for the A21 of the JC1's! The A21 especially has like unlimited head room... it seems to me like it has more gut... i just have personally never sold much in the A23... but that's just me too... the A21 seems to be very precise in imagine and sound staging as well too... In fact to kinda give you an idea the A21 is running my front speakers in the theater room and the A51 is doing the center and the rears... if that gives you some insight.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P.S. I talked to Richard at Parasound yesterday... i can't tell you all what he said... but... the new NC and Halo Processors and NC receiver are still coming just working on the Aydyssey chipset... (i am excited about that!) its going to be an almost fully featured Multi-EQ Audyssey EQ system in the units... and ya never know what else Parasound has up their sleeve :p you can always guarantee they will be current!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an A51 on order which should be in this week. It will be powering my Gallo reference 3.1 and AV speakers. This is my first separate power amp ( always just used receivers in the past ) so I am really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMH20 /forum/post/15983995

I have an A51 on order which should be in this week. It will be powering my Gallo reference 3.1 and AV speakers. This is my first separate power amp ( always just used receivers in the past ) so I am really looking forward to it.

Your gonna be thrilled

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi, I am a new owner of a Parasound 275, just arrived this morning. After auditioning it for only 10mins I must say I am very pleased with my purchase. Crystal clear highs/mids, much better than the old yamaha 2ch amp I was using. For me this is part of my computer system powering Energy C-7 Speakers and Energy ESW-V8 Sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am brand new to AV and am putting in a HT with Sonance LCR and SUR speakers and JVC front projector. I'm wondering how the Parasound 7100 would compare to newer sound processors like the DHC 9.9 or any others that people would recommend for under $3,500. Thanks

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Its about time. Actually I just became a Parasound owner recently after much debate. I Have 3 HCA1500A's bridged to my front three and I'm adding 2 more 1500's in 2ch to feed the side and rear four. Absolutely love what I have now, and don't regret not going with the Krell's as originally intended (though the Krells are a little better). The topology of jFet frontend with the Mosfet driver stages really does make for a tube-like warmth and sound with smooth highs reminiscent of my old Hafler Transnova amps. These run much cooler, though. These will be rack mounted as I have two 48" MidAtl racks side by side. Will post more info soon. Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 /forum/post/15983151

P.S. I talked to Richard at Parasound yesterday... i can't tell you all what he said... but... the new NC and Halo Processors and NC receiver are still coming just working on the Aydyssey chipset... (i am excited about that!) its going to be an almost fully featured Multi-EQ Audyssey EQ system in the units... and ya never know what else Parasound has up their sleeve :p you can always guarantee they will be current!

I've been watching Parasound for a long time, and I don't think that being current is something they've ever been accused of.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
been looking at parasound amps for awhile, has anyone here mixed the 2 channel amps with other manufacturers amps and noticed a difference in sound?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have the A21 doing L and R main duties and the A51 doing center and surround duties..........i am also using the C1 controller...........what are the best settings with this combo ?? is it possible to get HDMI 1.3 or whatever newer version they have with all the new audio codecs with this system ??

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
How does the SQ of the A51 compare with the A21?

Is there a drop in SQ?

1 - 20 of 6960 Posts