AVS Forum banner

6621 - 6640 of 6663 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,675 Posts
say dude. unless you're cooking eggs or something else brilliant with your amps don't tell me it's not free. it's waste heat. i repurposed it. it's free. once the upfront cost is taken care of any side perks are... free. capitalism 101, common sense and intelligence. and capitalism is fixing to go down. hard.
The laws of physics strongly disagree with you on the heat being free. Look, I'm not judging you and telling you that you should switch to more efficient amps. I'm just pointing out that the heat isn't free, no matter how you try to spin it. You even admit above that it's "waste heat" - that waste heat doesn't just magically appear from nothing - it's one of the byproducts of electronics that aren't 100% efficient. But again, if your monthly electric bill is only around $30, that's really awesome; if ours were that low, I certainly wouldn't be exploring ways to be more efficient with energy consumption :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a Parasound A21+ and using it with a DAC/preamp that has volume control (stepped attenuator).

What is the best volume control setting that I should use?

Higher volume from the DAC and lower gain from the A21+?

Or lower volume from the DAC and higher gain?

·
Registered
414 Posts
The total gain of the A21+ is 29dB with the gain at maximum. That is the typical gain of an amplifier without a gain adjustment, therefore set the A21+gain at the max.

·
Registered
30,558 Posts
The total gain of the A21+ is 29dB with the gain at maximum. That is the typical gain of an amplifier without a gain adjustment, therefore set the A21+gain at the max.
I do not disagree with this general recommendation. OTOH, there might be an advantage in lowering the gain on the A21+ if the source has a relatively high residual noise level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, Kal and whitey019.

Setting the A21+ gain at the max would force me to keep the DAC/preamp volume quite low for normal listening levels, especially with the XLR inputs which are 6dB louder.

I was wondering whether keeping the DAC volume too low can affect the sound quality and detail. Obviously I'll have to listen and decide for myself, but at least from a theoretical perspective which option is preferred (assuming the source is of good enough quality)?

·
Registered
15,148 Posts
Thank you, Kal and whitey019.

Setting the A21+ gain at the max would force me to keep the DAC/preamp volume quite low for normal listening levels, especially with the XLR inputs which are 6dB louder.

I was wondering whether keeping the DAC volume too low can affect the sound quality and detail. Obviously I'll have to listen and decide for myself, but at least from a theoretical perspective which option is preferred (assuming the source is of good enough quality)?
I pair my A21 with a JC2 preamp. I had to have the volume on the preamp very, very low for normal listening with the gains from both maxed out. Parasound recommended turning the gain down on the preamp, keeping it at max on the amp. That way I could have the volume up higher. So I don't think you lose any audio quality by turning down the DAC/preamp.

·
Registered
30,558 Posts
I pair my A21 with a JC2 preamp. I had to have the volume on the preamp very, very low for normal listening with the gains from both maxed out. Parasound recommended turning the gain down on the preamp, keeping it at max on the amp. That way I could have the volume up higher. So I don't think you lose any audio quality by turning down the DAC/preamp.
As I said if and, without specific measurements, we don't what they are.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Parasound P7 with Pro amps?

I know it says max volt output of the P7 is 8 volts but I wanted to see if anyone actually using a P7 on some pro amps.

I have some Rolls boxes that I use when output is low on a pre but id like to not use any of that and just run XLR from P7 to the pro amps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Question: Has anyone done a bench test of the Parasound 1205A amps?

The manual lists it as 140w all channels driven.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that the rating is very conservative.

Do we know its actual measurements?
I just bought this amp used last week and I cant remember where I read it but I remember reading it benched somewhere in the 150's watts per channel. Since you're an owner have you noticed if your amp takes up to 10 min to "warm up" for all channels to work? On mine for the first 10 min or so the channels work intermittently and are abit weak. After that time all is good and the amp sounds great? Is this typical? (This is my first amp)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I just bought this amp used last week and I cant remember where I read it but I remember reading it benched somewhere in the 150's watts per channel. Since you're an owner have you noticed if your amp takes up to 10 min to "warm up" for all channels to work? On mine for the first 10 min or so the channels work intermittently and are abit weak. After that time all is good and the amp sounds great? Is this typical? (This is my first amp)

You've got some failures, hard to guess at what it might be. Probably repairable, but if you aren't good at this sort of thing you'll have to hire a pro. Obviously the risk you take buying used.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,675 Posts
There's definitely something wrong with it. No idea where you purchased it, but if the amp was advertised as being in perfect working order, you should get in touch with the seller to see if you can either return it or get them to compensate you for the repair cost.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a Sansui 9090 for two channel audio which as vintage gear does, is showing repeated problems and I am tired of dumping money into it - although I do love it’s sound. I really like my Parasound gear in my home theater system. For dedicated two channel would I be better off with the p5 or p7. I would be powering it with an A21 and the only music source would be a heos controller. I use the Heos with the Sansui today so analog is my only option. Excluding the dac capabilities of the P5, is the analog section of the P7 noticeably better?

I tried googling side by side spec comparisons but hard to find.

·
Registered
30,558 Posts
. Excluding the dac capabilities of the P5, is the analog section of the P7 noticeably better?
The salient difference is that the P7 is a 7.1channel preamp and the P5 (now replaced by the P6) is stereo only. In addition, the P7 is analog only while the other two have digital inputs and other processing features.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
There are a few conditioner/surge protectors that should be powering large amps out there, surgex and brick(might of misspelled). The best thing you can do is run an independent 20 amp line solely for the amp whether you go direct to wall or not. Basically on a shared circuit you starve it of power and it can't reach its potential when played hard. 15 amp circuit can only supply 1800 watts, 400 tv, 100 processor, 50 bluray player and you only have 1200 watts left(not enough). That applies to a dedicated yet shared circuit, if it's shared with your household your in worse shape.

If you go 20amp, you also need a conditioner that rated for 20 amp.

Best!

I want to understand this notion of “starving” an amp of power. If it’s trying to exceed the power limits of a 15 amp circuit then the breaker will trip.

I too have dedicated 20amp lines for my JTR subs but I run my Parasound A31, an ATI 6 channel and an 8 channel ATI (using only four channels) on a single 15 amp circuit. It’s extremely rare that I will trip a breaker and that is only at extreme levels in a movie and if all other items on the same circuit are on.

Eventually I will run a separate line but I have purchased high end power reservoirs that provide instantaneous power reserves with zero improvement in sound quality or dynamics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been using a Parasound 5250 amp for many years with zero problems now and finally decided to upgrade the amp section for the L & R channels as I've been doing lots of 2 channel music listening and less 5 channel. So I went and bought the Parasound A21+, paired with my Marantz 8802a, Paradigm studio 100s v4, and my JL F113 sub; I was blown away by the difference. Unfortunately a month later it started to act up.
Long story short I ended up returning the A21+ and came home with a JC5 (=
I can't remove the grin from my face!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Anybody local to Los Angeles?

Thinking of adding an A21+ to my system - currently running Krell 5 channel but need an additional 2 channels. I grabbed a d sonic to power my sides, but decided maybe I'll get a nice 2 channel for LR and use the Krell for remaining channels. I heard a Parasound years ago w/ similar Martin Logans to mine...I loved it but went Krell because I got a deal on the floor model. I would love to listen to them on my JTR's but don't wanna buy them blind. anybody local wiling to let me demo/listen? Just figured I would try here before calling dealers.

Thanks in advance and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been using a Parasound 5250 amp for many years with zero problems now and finally decided to upgrade the amp section for the L & R channels as I've been doing lots of 2 channel music listening and less 5 channel. So I went and bought the Parasound A21+, paired with my Marantz 8802a, Paradigm studio 100s v4, and my JL F113 sub; I was blown away by the difference. Unfortunately a month later it started to act up and only played the left channel upon start up and eventually after 20 seconds or so the right would kick in. Long story short I ended up returning the A21+ and came home with a JC5 (=
I can't remove the grin from my face!!
I'm going through an issue with my month old A21+ right now as well. The left channel is exhibiting a buzzing sound (not loop hum) that gradually gets louder as amp stays on longer. Shutting the amp down and powering it back on will lower the buzzing sound in the left channel, but it eventually gets back to the louder volume.

I've sent my amp to Parasound for analysis and hopefully repair. I can't live with the annoying buzz coming from the left channel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thinking of adding an A21+ to my system - currently running Krell 5 channel but need an additional 2 channels. I grabbed a d sonic to power my sides, but decided maybe I'll get a nice 2 channel for LR and use the Krell for remaining channels. I heard a Parasound years ago w/ similar Martin Logans to mine...I loved it but went Krell because I got a deal on the floor model. I would love to listen to them on my JTR's but don't wanna buy them blind. anybody local wiling to let me demo/listen? Just figured I would try here before calling dealers.

Thanks in advance and Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there
You know, I've come to a conclusion that anything made today just isn't built like it use to be, no matter the type of product. My 5250 is 12 years old and never had a hiccup once. I was so disappointed that the A21+ had this problem. I was trying to live with it but it just kept getting worse. I pretty much expect with anything I buy to have some sort of problem with it.

Reactions: yanks1

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Sansui 9090 for two channel audio which as vintage gear does, is showing repeated problems and I am tired of dumping money into it - although I do love it’s sound. I really like my Parasound gear in my home theater system. For dedicated two channel would I be better off with the p5 or p7. I would be powering it with an A21 and the only music source would be a heos controller. I use the Heos with the Sansui today so analog is my only option. Excluding the dac capabilities of the P5, is the analog section of the P7 noticeably better?

I tried googling side by side spec comparisons but hard to find.
If you want to stay with an integrated 2 way system (plus subs) the Hint 6 would be your choice. However, the A23+/P6 combo results in the same specs and as seperates but gives you flexibility down the line. For more power (and arguably more fidelity) you can match the A21+ with the P6.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you want to stay with an integrated 2 way system (plus subs) the Hint 6 would be your choice. However, the A23+/P6 combo results in the same specs and as seperates but gives you flexibility down the line. For more power (and arguably more fidelity) you can match the A21+ with the P6.
I thought of that as an option but the additional cash investment is considerable for the new p6 and an a23+. Maybe a p6 and older a23 (non plus)

6621 - 6640 of 6663 Posts