AVS Forum banner

6761 - 6780 of 6783 Posts

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
227 Posts
I need to check, but whatever was set at the factory. What would you recommend setting the gain at? I just changed speakers to some Polk lsi9s and the bass reappeared. The polks are harder to drive than the Axioms.
Ya but only by a couple db right? Well that’s weird.. and ya your right I guess with the 52 there isn’t gain on the back like my a31

·
Registered
18,674 Posts
Just hooked up a Parasound A52+ to power my front three speakers. I have to say I am underwhelmed. Clarity, detail retrieval and imaging are great, but bass punch lacks...punch. I have Axiom Audio M5HP bookshelf speakers and they can punch out some bass even with a Denon receiver and Yamaha MX-A5200 amp I had for a while. I don't get nearly the same kind of bass punch from the Parasound. Does the Parasound need to break in or am I getting what I'm going to get? The Parasound manual says to use the XLR inputs over the RCA inputs for better performance so I have three XLR cables on order, but I doubt that is going to kickstart the bass. Any thoughts? Maybe I got a dud?
This doesn't make sense to me. Did you re-run Audyssey ? Could be a setup / calibration issue.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
227 Posts
What should I set my gain on the back on my a31 to? Half like the manual says or less becasue my speakers are so efficient or more maybe idk. I use to have 3/4 of the way up but I want to experiment. Now I have it a lil more than 1/4 the way up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. Did you re-run Audyssey ? Could be a setup / calibration issue.
I don't run any room correction. My pre-pro is a Yamaha CX-A5200. Tone controls are set to flat or bypass. I've had the Yamaha feed the multichannel inputs on a Denon receiver and a Yamaha MX-A5200. Both the receiver and the Yamaha amp, which are not as well built as the Parasound had much better bass. By all accounts the Parasound should be the superior amp, but not with my Axiom M5HP speakers.

·
Registered
18,674 Posts
I don't run any room correction. My pre-pro is a Yamaha CX-A5200. Tone controls are set to flat or bypass. I've had the Yamaha feed the multichannel inputs on a Denon receiver and a Yamaha MX-A5200. Both the receiver and the Yamaha amp, which are not as well built as the Parasound had much better bass. By all accounts the Parasound should be the superior amp, but not with my Axiom M5HP speakers.
I find my Martin Logan Motion speakers sound better with the A 52+ than being run on my Denon X8500. I always run Audyssey XT32 every time I change something. Can't say about the bass though, since my crossovers are always set at 80Hz and I have 6 SVS subs.

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is it ok to use a surge protector or a surge suppressor with Parasound products?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes but feel free to experiment as long as you compensate with the channel gain controls. :rolleyes:
Hey Kal, I think you also have the NAD M28 amp. I'm looking at possibly purchasing the M28. I don't want to derail this Parasound thread into an NAD thread, so if you want you can PM me. How do you like the NAD M28?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am going to do a factory reset on the CX-A5200 and see if that helps.
I find my Martin Logan Motion speakers sound better with the A 52+ than being run on my Denon X8500. I always run Audyssey XT32 every time I change something. Can't say about the bass though, since my crossovers are always set at 80Hz and I have 6 SVS subs.
I am going to do a factory reset on the CX-A5200 and see if that helps.

·
Registered
30,632 Posts
Hey Kal, I think you also have the NAD M28 amp. I'm looking at possibly purchasing the M28. I don't want to derail this Parasound thread into an NAD thread, so if you want you can PM me. How do you like the NAD M28?
I like it fine. Keeping it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes but feel free to experiment as long as you compensate with the channel gain controls. :rolleyes:
What do you mean compensate with the channel gain controls?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I remember I had done a firmware update on my pre-pro while I was amp less. Initially when getting the A52+ I was not impressed. My main speakers sounded muddled and the bass was anemic. I decided to reset my pre-pro to factory settings. That did the trick. Not muddled any more. Bass has come back. This amp has more power than I could ever use, is very clean, neutral in my opinion, and I can now hear the limitations of my speakers instead of my amp. Got me already thinking about some better speakers - Focal Kanta 1s maybe? I need a book shelf speaker because I don't have space for a tower speaker. Currently I have Axiom 5 HP speakers. Nice speakers, but with the A52+ I feel I can move up the food chain in speakers and get rewarded for it.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any threads for parasound future request. I would like to see dirac live on the parasound P6 or a complete analog version of the P6

·
Registered
227 Posts
What exactly does the gain on the back of Parasound a or the a31 do? The higher the gain is does it push more watts to your speaker or what is it doing exactly? Is it constantly 250 no matter what the gain is at or..?

·
Registered
30,632 Posts
What exactly does the gain on the back of Parasound a or the a31 do? The higher the gain is does it push more watts to your speaker or what is it doing exactly? Is it constantly 250 no matter what the gain is at or..?
No. The maximum output of the amp is nominally 250w. The gain determines how much voltage is necessary to reach that maximum output.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No. The maximum output of the amp is nominally 250w. The gain determines how much voltage is necessary to reach that maximum output.
What’s your opinion on the ideal spot for the gain for my speakers? rf7iii which efficiently is 100db I believe. My installers had it at 3/4 the way up, ran it like that for awhile but ended up turning it down to half way. I feel like I could even go lower. I don’t really notice any change when I adjust the gain except increase an increase or decrease in volume.

·
Registered
30,632 Posts
What is the range of settings? Most common gain these days is 28-29dB. You can probably go a 3dB lower with the Klipsch but I usually set it based on the source, its output capability and noise. Most AVRs have low outputs.

6761 - 6780 of 6783 Posts