AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I am looking for a preamp with a sub output (or a combo of two components like Emo has) to replace a TagMcLaren AV32-R which is getting pretty old now. Price is a factor obviously and I might add a phono component at some point...

I don't want anything fancy, but I want something that doesn't get in the way in any way. I'll be driving things from my computer (USB or SPDIF). The speakers are Salk Audio HT3 (which I love), the sub is a Paradigm Servo 15 and the amp is a Crown XLS 2500.

What would you get? Also open to other options in the same price range.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
The Parasound P5 seems to meet all your needs and I have heard it. The phono is excellent w/a choice of MM or MC carts. The setup I heard was a VPI Traveler hooked up to the Parasound phono and a pair of B&W CM10's. Also you get a second Sub output if you want to even out the bottom end. As afar as Emotiva is concerned I have never heard any of their gear but I'm sure you will get an honest assessment from a current user.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Outlaw 975 is only $549, and is actually a 7.1 preamp and processor.

You could use it for 2.1 now and have the option to go to 5.1 if the mood strikes you later.

A number of Emotiva owners have been complaining that Emotiva's customer service is not responding to calls and there is no one there at all; non-responsive.

I would research that before buying an Emotiva product.

The Crown is basically considered a PA system amp; not good enough sound quality for home audio. I think you would make a major improvement by getting a better power amplifier.

Maybe the best way to go would be to get the Outlaw 2150 receiver, which has plenty of power, a built-in equalizer, preouts for sub use, and a bunch of other good features including a USB input and phono preamp.

It sells for $699, and that would give you a good preamp and a good power amp, all in one package.

·
Banned
8,185 Posts
The non responsive emotiva is news to me. Never heard that one before. They answer everytime I call

As for the xsp1. To me it's phenomenal. And you can find a gen1 for about 600$. Which is a steal.

Lmk if you want to know anything else about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1524023/parasound-p5-or-emo-xsp-1-gen2-stealth-dc-1#post_24527088

The Outlaw 975 is only $549, and is actually a 7.1 preamp and processor.

You could use it for 2.1 now and have the option to go to 5.1 if the mood strikes you later.

A number of Emotiva owners have been complaining that Emotiva's customer service is not responding to calls and there is no one there at all; non-responsive.

I would research that before buying an Emotiva product.

The Crown is basically considered a PA system amp; not good enough sound quality for home audio. I think you would make a major improvement by getting a better power amplifier.

Maybe the best way to go would be to get the Outlaw 2150 receiver, which has plenty of power, a built-in equalizer, preouts for sub use, and a bunch of other good features including a USB input and phono preamp.

It sells for $699, and that would give you a good preamp and a good power amp, all in one package.

Thanks for the Outlaw recommendation I will look at it closely.

On the amp side, I already have a perfectly fine power amp that requires no upgrade and does a great job. I am asking about DAC/pre amps with sub support though, not amps and not looking to start a debate on power amps. Personally I ask a power amp to be linear, signal in = signal out with more power and capable of driving the load. Signal amplification is largely a solved problem and has been for years in much more demanding industries than sound reproduction. Properly designed power amplifiers are impossible to distinguish from each others as every well run double blind tests for years has proven. I don't put ridiculous amounts of money in cables or in power amps, I don't care if it's made for audiophiles or PA, it does the same thing for me and the crown does it just fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg  /t/1524023/parasound-p5-or-emo-xsp-1-gen2-stealth-dc-1#post_24527818

The non responsive emotiva is news to me. Never heard that one before. They answer everytime I call

As for the xsp1. To me it's phenomenal. And you can find a gen1 for about 600$. Which is a steal.

Lmk if you want to know anything else about it.

Thanks! Do you use the XSP1 with a sub? How is the crossover tuning?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloP  /t/1524023/parasound-p5-or-emo-xsp-1-gen2-stealth-dc-1#post_24529000

Thanks! Do you use the XSP1 with a sub? How is the crossover tuning?

GloP: The Servo-15 Sub, I have one! You don't see these very often as they were ahead of there time mine still puts out strong deep bass after all of these years and works as a good coffee table as well! LOL
Now to address your question all depends on what your looking for, emotiva gear is built quite well as the rest as Parasound and Outlaw etc.. basically do the same thing and farm out there gear being put together in mainland china, so quality is on par. If your looking for a sub out then you might want to look at the XSP1, I am thinking of getting the Stealth but I need a decent pre/pro and the built in dac is a plus. The P-5 is pretty sweet as well for the money and has a sub output. Wired4sound also has a pre/amp dad combo, but they are more expensive, for the money the Stealth at $500 bucks seems like a great deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.