AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 20s for 30 days now, and was playing around with my Avia test disc. Notice that whenever I play test tones in the 100 -200 Hz region, I am getting some buzzing out of one or the other speaker. Checked it out with another disc, same results, as long as the level was over 50 dB (on my RS meter)

Has anyone else run across this problem? Is this a break-in issue, design problem, or manufacture’s defect? Should I be concerned? (Obviously I am, or wouldn't have posted).

·
Registered
115 Posts
jkhome, I read an article somewhere that the Paradigms that were being tested found that one of the speaker grilles started buzzing at a certain frequency and the tester solved the problem (quick-fix) stuck this adhesive at a few places...I got the impression that is was just a temp fix and it was like a couple small drops of adhesive that solves the problem....don't remember the name of the adhesive he used...He remarked that it was a shame that he had to use this to "quiet" the speaker at those certain frequency's...Might pull of the grilles to see if the buzzing is illiminated ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
JK,

Try testing without the grills as wrg2 recommended, plus make sure all the screws used to mount the drivers and the rear connection plate are tight.

After I had my sub for a little while, I started to hear something buzzing at certain volume levels. Turned out to be my plate amp... screws were loose.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I had already tried without grilles, also just checked all allen screws...ok.

I swear it sounds like the rubber diaphragm part of the woofer driver is buzzing. I am using an Acoustic Elegance test CD, and can make the speakers buzz between 100 and 200 Hz, but can also make them stop, if I back down on the volume.

AFAIK, I haven't been able to hear any problems with normal music/movie playback. Right now I am driving the speakers with 50' cables from a Rotel receiver (100watts @ 2 channel) I can try to hook them up to my Aragon, with shorter cables, and check again. Maybe the receiver is oscillating?(not that I would know what that sounds like)

Anyway I have an email to Paradigm, and could contact my dealer, although I pretty much know what to expect there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
jkhome, can you exchange/return your speakers with your dealers policies? See if you can get another of the same design and initiate the same test, see if it gets you the same results. If so maybe you need to look at another speaker, Paradigm or otherwise...It's all about what sounds good and pleases you! Some of the test that these discs use, I'm not all that sure that if the speaker showed unfavorable results according to the test criteria, you may not even find that particular test favorable for your listening pleasure....Paradigms are very good speakers, and I think that what I'm trying to convey is that aside from the testing discs, some people have greater/smaller tollerances than others...If you can't solve the buzzing problem and like the speakers, try another pair of them. If you yield the same results, and those particular measurements/results are important to you....definitely try another speaker...Sorry, but for me, stats, charts, reviews are just a way to narrow down a particular search. THE..THE...most importtant thing to me is what they sound like when I get them hooked up with my gear in my home....only then do I know what I've been searching for, and isn't that whats most important? How it sounds to you...in YOUR home? If the Paradigms don't get you to where you want to be search elsewhere.....find your sound! Paradigm is but one of many....don't get locked into others opinions, you may find that your criteria for listening pleasure is to the left of the mainstream..if thats so, enjoy it when you find it because thats what the search will bring you to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe you are exceeding the limits of the driver excursion between 100 - 200hz with the sinewaves.

The buzzing might actually be the VC tapping lightly 150 times a second on the back of the magnet structure.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Also, I've found that sometimes the driver cables get pushed too close to the woofers and it can make a nasty sound. Also make sure your binding posts are tight.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickelfritz
Maybe you are exceeding the limits of the driver excursion between 100 - 200hz with the sinewaves.

The buzzing might actually be the VC tapping lightly 150 times a second on the back of the magnet structure.
That's what I was thinking, maybe I have just found their limit. I haven't "heard" the buzz during regular playback. The test where I heard it first is on the Avia subwoofer test section where a warple tone plays to show the intergration of the crossover setting. Playing it at a reference 70-80 dB level is much higher than I would any other time.

Other than this, these speakers are working out fine, plan on upgrading my existing center and sides with more Studios.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Also make sure the rubber surrounds are properly glued to the cone and speaker frame. I've had a new speaker where half of one of the drivers had no glue at the frame at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.