AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm quite familiar w/ LCD and DLP but i have never heard of D-ILA .. will someone please enlighten me (a brief cons/pros of the 3 types woudl be nice too ...)

thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
D-ILA is a type of LCD panel which are light reflecting devices sometimes referred to as LCoS displays (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). JVC is the only one to my knowledge which is actually delivering on this technology.

The major advantage I have seen are better resolution (1365x1024) and less pixelization or screen door effect. Do a search on these products and you will find out more than you ever wanted to know:

JVC G15 D-ILA

JVC G20 D-ILA

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah .. thats the other thing .... whats a "screen door" effect? is that the effect u get from LCD panels? that u can see every pixel separated?

thanks

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Fiddler,

That's a good question. There is the short version and the long version :D.

The short version: It's a technology that uses liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) and reflects the light off the panel instead of trying to force the light through the panel. The main benefits are that there is little difficulty getting the resolution up, and that the panel itself needs very little structure since it is backed by a solid plane of silicon. The structure of transmissive LCD can be seen as "screen door" in the image, meaning that the borders of pixels are more visible than you might like.

To compare technologies:
  • D-ILA and DLP are reflective. LCD is transmissive.
  • D-ILA and LCD use three separate primary colors (RGB). Most DLP use a spinning color wheel. The D-ILA and LCD coloration is generally regarded as more accurate than single-chip DLP.
  • Most DLP and LCD use a UHP bulb ("ulta-high pressure"). Most D-ILA use a Xenon bulb.
  • The minimum resolution on a D-ILA projector is 1365x1024 (greater than wide SXGA), and they go up to 2x HDTV resolution ($$$).
  • In general, they need to be kept cool and quiet.
  • They are more expensive than competing technologies. They are heavier (35 pounds). They are hard to find in a demo.
  • Still, custom installers recommend them a LOT, and many celebrities use them in their own home theaters with big screen (Bobby Labonte [Nascar], Bill Gates, Stephen Spielburg to name a few)

The D-ILA technology also takes LCOS a step further by adding a Xenon arc lamp (usually only found in very expensive large venue projectors and 3-chip DLP), and that allows the coloration to be excellent. However, it also means that the projector needs to have a powerful fan to keep the Xenon lamp cool.

See here for your exact answer, in a similar topic from a short while ago.

For the long, long answer...try clicking on that "Search" button up top and typing in "D-ILA". The answers should take you a few days to read :D.

Mark Hunter
www.theaterphile.com

Disclaimer: My company ("milori") builds a software add-on product for D-ILA projectors.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Tywoniak
JVC is the only one to my knowledge which is actually delivering on this technology.
There are others that manufacture LCoS technology. Three-five systems is in one, and are currently making stuff for RCA.

Although we are all salivating over JVC and their new QXGA LCoS chip, Three-five systems I believe has a similar product that may hit the consumer market sooner.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what's the "cheapest" D-ILA projector out there? .. as far as bang for the buck, is DLP the best? (the LT 150 threads are overwhelming :))

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mark:

I can't believe you answered a question about screen door, and didn't take the opportunity to reference your definitive work on the topic here ! :)

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Good find, Dave! I thought that was long gone.

Thanks for picking that up!

·
Registered
683 Posts
"What is a D-ILA?" - a fairly loud and expensive space heater that also outputs a very nice projected image :)

Reed.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Fiddler,

A fellow member, Don O'Brien has also put together the D-ILA FAQ if you wish to know more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.