AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
$1700 = the price is right, but I hear RCA has serious lemon problems. True?

Only one component video input? Will it squeeze anamorphic DVD hooked up via S-Video? That is a MUST.

I see nothing about anamorphic squeezing on the RCA specs page.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
807 Posts
The RCA MM36110 doesn't do the squeeze except from the service menu.

I haven't seen it yet, but you can add the Toshiba 36HF71 to your list. It appears it does the squeeze, albeit manually with a button on the remote. Check out the specs here: http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/36HF71.html I think this set is going to sell for $2k also.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The TOSHIBA lists: "16:9 Mode (1080i Vertical Compression)" so I wonder if it is only for 1080i material?

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
The TOSHIBA lists: "16:9 Mode (1080i Vertical Compression)" so I wonder if it is only for 1080i material?

That's actually a question in my mind as well based upon the specs page for the set. However, in the manual for the set which is available online, it states:

"You can view programs that have the conventional TV picture format (4:3 aspect ratio) and the widescreen format (16:9 aspect ratio). This feature is available for 1080i digital broadcasts and 480p/480i DVD signals connected to the Colorstream HD1 and HD2 jacks." It then walks you through how to use the remote to select Normal, Letterbox or Compression mode. Based on this, it sure looks to me like any signal coming through the component inputs can be compressed.

The manual is available at http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu.../36HF71_R1.pdf and the compression is covered on page 24.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think you may be premature in discarding RPTV options. Burn-in happens with all TVs, tube and projection. Projection burns faster, so you may only get 7-10 years instead of 10-15+, but the real problem is uneven tube burn. This happens when part of the screen is continually lit and another isn't.

If you're very concerned about burn-in, and your parents watch mostly TV (news), then think about a 4:3 projection set. I would say, however, that most if not all 16:9 RPTVs have very good stretch modes that will make not only TV news, but also more demanding material, fit acceptably on the screen. I use it almost all the time and barely notice the distortion, if at all. I think the compromises are more than worth it when it comes time to watch great 16:9 material.

jake

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Because of the massive amount of FOX News my father views, I have decided he should not get a Rear Projection HDTV, because he'll suffer burn-in within weeks of delivery.

So that leaves the 32" to 36" direct view option, which is kind of crummy, because they don't want to go for less than 36" in size. The 36" Sony XBR is at least $2200 and that is over their price point of 2k with tax.

What do the experts recommend I point my parents to? They love my Panasonic 47" HDTV, but it's too complicated for them, there is the burn-in issue and they watch far too much 4:3 material. So I think 4:3 is best for them at this point.

So far I can only see the following TV's as options...

PANASONIC 36" TAU: $2k at Circuit City.

ZENITH 36" ZEN D36D51: 2k at Circuit City.

Samsung's 32" TSL3294HF is just $1400 at Sears, but I think too small. I know nothing about the quality of the set.

Note: My parents sure as ship won't buy from an online dealer. They will go to Sears, Bernies, Tweeter and Best Buy, as they are the local places.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I just worry that two things will happen on a 4:3 RPTV.

#1. The gray/black bars will burn in top & bottom as they will be watching HDTV material from DISH, in addition to DVD.

#2. The LIVE logos from FOX News and CNN will burn in, as they are very bright and always in the same exact position. I've seen logos burned into RPTV's at local retailers.

I would very much like for them to get a 43" to 47" size 16x9 RPTV, but th fear of burnin and my mother having to figure out how to use it, well, that's scary.

If they go Tube, they will need the ability to have 16X9 Squeeze with the S-VIDEO input, not just the COMPONENT input, as with the new Toshiba. The Component input will be used by the DISH 6000 receiver. I want them to have the added res of 16x9 DVD. This is the last TV they will probably buy, so I want them to have to all.

EDIT: As I think about this, they watch a lot of CBS. If they are unable to get CBS HD content from their antenna, they can qualify for a waiver. Either way, CBS is the Network they view 80% of the time, so maybe a 16X9 set is the best way to go? God, why do I always get these jobs! I had to choose their Satellite system! I had to choose the DVD player! I had to pick the new car! Why me!!!? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Matt_Stevens (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
437 Posts
most of the new HD-ready sets I've seen have two sets of high bandwidth component inputs so you can have your dvd player and a STB hooked up together.

just a bit of info to keep you from getting hooked up on the s-video compression thing.

I agree that with a lot of news watching (MSNBC, CNN, FOXNEWS, ETC.) the logos and menu bars are a real concern with RPTV. I think you're on the right track with a 36" Tube, 4:3 set. As long as it squeezes for both HD and anamorphic dvd's like the SONY or Panny sets do. I believe the new TOSH will also do it, but we shall see when it's out.

------------------

zaphod

end of transmission.......

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
If it has 2 sets, then it's on the list. Hopefully it will be available soon so that I can check it out against the TAU.

But I do wish 16x9 Tube TV's could be had for 2 grand. Like this Toshiba here.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

·
Registered
24 Posts
MATT, THE TOSHIBA IS $2055 + SHIPPING FROM SPECTRAVOX.COM. --PRETTY CLOSE TO 2K. I TALKED TO THE FELLOW THERE AND HE SHIPS OUT OF SEVERAL WEREHOUSES, PROBABLY ONE NEAR YOU. SINCE THE SITE IS LOCATE IN REDONDO BEACH, CA, YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY TAX. THIS IS A SET I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING AS WELL. GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT IF YOU PURCHASE ONE.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Matt, Just steared my friend to the panny Tau 36hx. He bought it at PC Richards for under $1700 last week. Needless to say he is totally blown away. Wait 'till he tries HD!

gebstr83

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Wow. Good price. 2 Component inputs, so that works.

I only wonder if Panasonic ever licked the Tau's problem of failing to squeeze 16x9 DVD's from time to time. There is no manual squeeze, only an auto, so that's a problem if they haven't fixed the problem.

------------------
www.deceptions.net

[This message has been edited by Matt_Stevens (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look at the Hitachi 36 at Sears. Some of us on the board got the 36SDX01 model during clearance for between $990-$1399. It was being replaced by this year's model, which is $1799. The main differences are the PC monitor capability was removed and dual tuner PIP was added to this year's model 36UDX01.

·
Registered
737 Posts
 TGTBT Price for 36HF71?

Also, can't find the Hitachi 32UDX10S anywhere online (except Circuity City and they don't show any in-stock at any store I've checked near me and it's not listed as available for direct ship).

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
16 Posts
The SharperDigital site, linked above for the price of the 36hf71 has a mistake, it claims it is 16:9. This model is 4:3 and not 16:9.

------------------

Michel

·
Registered
737 Posts
True. But, the description itself is rather sparse and my guess is they picked up on some keywords of the set's capabilities. I'm actually looking for a 4:3 set at the moment and that sharperdigital.com price seems too good to be true. Anyone heard of them or know anything about them?

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.