AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to make a foam-backed Parkland plastic screen. I will glue a sheet of Parkland to each side of the foam board then put aluminum C channel around the edges. I have 3/4" C channel. I was wondering if I should use 1/2" or 3/4" foam board? With the 3/4" board I would have to crush it to fit into the C channel while the 1/2" board with two layers of Parkland may be too loose. Suggestions???

A related question, how thick is the Parkland product???

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there are various ways to make Parkland screens. Some use wood frames while others use foam backing and C-channel frame. I am going to use the latter due to its lighter weight.

I would like to hear the answers to my original questions from people who have used the foam method.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I actually chose to use the 2" foam to give the screen a better chance of remaining flat. With over a year of storage on an outside porch it has remained flat and perfect for summer outside use.

You actually don't even need a frame with the rigid foam backing. Simply gluing some black velvet around the edges and overlapping it an inch or so on the face of the vinyl will work quite well. The 2" foam is all the rigidity it needs.

There are hundreds of ways to mount a frame, use your imagination, every HT room will have different trade-offs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Carl, how did you attach the parkland to the foam, and what sort of foam is it?

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Simon, I used 3M #77 spray adhesive. The foam I used was 2" thick 4 x 8 insullating foam sold by Home Depot amd most other building supply outfits. The foam comes in different thicknesses from 1/2" to 2" but the 2" is the most rigid and the weight of the foam is essentially trivial. The vinyl makes up most of the weight of the sandwich.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How are people mounting these foam boards to the wall. So far, I've only heard propped up against the wall.

On a side note, I have looked at these foam boards at the store, and a majority of them were warped just standing there. I think they are riged, but rigedly warped.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by grog_lives
How are people mounting these foam boards to the wall. So far, I've only heard propped up against the wall.

On a side note, I have looked at these foam boards at the store, and a majority of them were warped just standing there. I think they are riged, but rigedly warped.
How thick were the foam panels you looked at? The 2" panels I saw at Home Depot were 100% flat, not a warped one in the bunch. OTOH you need to check carefully for damage from the usual careless HD handling.

You can use any of the means for fastening regular screens for the foam panels, brackets fastened to the wall, vertical risers (alum tube or 1x2 wood) with brackets attached. THINK !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.