AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im planyin to build my screen for HT...so i came acroos these 2 poplualr choices....one being the Parkland Plastic and the other Curtain Blackout...My size is gona eb approx. 45*80 and both of these materials woudl offer tat...after i cut them a bit....

here are the advantges and disadvantges of both....tat i could find

Parkland Plastic: Very Easy to install, Easy to clean, Very Light, cheap

Cons: Sometimes could be very reflective espc. durin white scens

Blackout Material: Very Light, Cheap, HOlds the light in, Not refelcitve as Parkland PLasitc...

Cons: Cant be cleaned, Not tat easy to install,

My installation process is gona be easy for both since i have a wall tats not being used and if i get the Blackout Material i can rol it out and either Nail or Thumbtack it to the wall and cover the tacks or nail with my Black border...

so now i need to know if someone has expericed both of these screen and how their results were gona be...My pj is gona be Panny 75U and my light control in my room is gona be 9 out of 10...1 being on the sun and 10 being the place where the sun dont shine if u know wat i mean.....so any help would be appreicated and i decided to post here and in the screen departemtn to get response from both people.....thanks again:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am trying to locate this "parkland plastics" materiel.

Home depot doesn't have a clue.

Where about's is it located inside home depot ? (what department)

Can't wait to build one of these !

I've heard quite a few people who have used light gray paints on the parkland screens ?... I wonder if this could help w/ the reflective quality of the materiel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only prob by painting it light gray is u dont get tru colors yes black do get improve but color defintion is lost a bit

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all, not all Home Depot stores carry the product. In my area, Minneapolis, only the larger stores carry it. I found it in the same area as paneling. It also took me sorting through about 10 sheets to find one that was not dinged up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've tried both, however the Parkland plastic has only been tested on the 'back' or the 'smooth' side. I found SERIOUS hotspotting with my CRT. Unacceptable to me. I'll be trying the 'back side' with the rougher texture next. We'll see it that does anything.

The other issue is that the Parkland is thick, and mine isn't perfectly flat, and will probably be quite hard to make perfectly flat. Unless the rough side stops hotspotting, and I can figure a way to make it flat, the blackout material is the only way to go in my view, until proper screen screen material can be purchased. I'm saving up for a Stewart :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Faheem,

The parkland material (since i am unable to get a sample)

is the "smooth" side almost like a white board materiel ?. ..

I cannot get parkland here locally ..

however the Hardware stores carry , TONS of stuff close too it. So i'm hoping one of these might yeild the same results. So i'm going to try first, but i have NO idea what i'm looking for in the materiel.

The ones i'm seeing are VERY shiney and white, which i can't immagine would be any good as a screen.

Hope is to use that .. and paint it very light dull grey.

Any help you can offer ?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Duell,

Before reversing your panel, why don't you try painting it? The hotspotting problem may go away. Use a flat white paint (e.g. Behr Ultra White) - there's a lot of threads discussing painting screens.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sure...

Can't hurt it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.