·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I'm creating a DIY screen and have narrowed it down to either:

- Parkland Plastics Polywall - Using Matte Side

- Rust-Oleum Metallic Finish “Aluminum†Spray Paint

Tryg did a great job reviewing various screen materials. Unfortunately, the Parkland Plastics Polywall product was not in his review. The results of his study seemed to show that a carefully prepared surface using the Rust-Oleum paint would produce a great result. The Parkland Plastics Polywall options seems to be a little easier to execute, since no paint-variance issues could occur. Given the relatively low output of my projector (HS10), I am leaning towards the higher gain of the Rust-oleum approach.

Has anyone compared these 2 products?

Any comments or insight would be great...

HTBuilder

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are the comments that Tryg posted during his review of the Rust-Oleum approach:

Rust-oleum Metallic Finish Aluminum (spray paint)

Okay kids here’s your DIY "silver star". If painted on with care and evenness, a flat surface can be transformed into a surface that can be comparable to the Silver Star. This sample is sprayed onto a piece of photo paper. Very bright, could work for HT. Excellent colors and over the top whites. Decent viewing cone. I'd estimate this screen as having more gain than Silver Star. Also, I cannot determine if it suffers from hot spotting with my small sample. A more textured backing material will reduce gain and possibly any hot spotting. For more info refer to The Shootout.

27. Rust-oleum Metallic Finish "Aluminum" (spray paint) 7+ gain

Hey this stuff is cool. I experimented on three surfaces. Foam board offered super high gain and decent viewing cone. But, likely would hotspot on a full screen. The trick may be to find the right paper, board, or fabric to apply it to with a nice even coat. I highly recommend DIYers experiment with this one! I’ll be experimenting with this one myself.

On your left is the infamous #27 Rust-oleum Metallic Finish Aluminum (spray paint). This paint has been described as the $3.79 Silver Star in a can. It was sprayed onto 3 different surfaces in haste with only one coat. Far left, we have the Metallic Finish Aluminum applied to standard construction paper so you may notice a significant weakness in gain due to the surface texture and abnormalities. Then in lane two, we have the panel split into two sections. On the bottom we have the MFA applied to standard white foam board. On the top, MFA nicely coats a piece of white 6 oz Dacron fabric.

I'll post some comments on the Parkland Plastics products as well for everyone to compare.

HTBuilder

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.