AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on the types of DIY screens, and the Parkland Polywall route seems to be awesome bang for the buck. A friend of mine just spent $1700 on a Firehawk, and I want to see the look on his face when I tell him I spent less than $100 on mine. I'm so cruel :D . Anyway, I need a couple of pointers before I start the process.

1) I'm thinking about a 10'x5' screen, and cutting it down to either 9'x5' or 8'x4.5' (96"x54"). Do I have to order through Parkland, or are there any stores where this is available? If you ordered from Parkland, how long did it take to get to you?

2) What's the best way to cut this material? Also, do I leave extra for the border, or do I include it in the above measurements for 16:9?

3) What's the best way to mask the screen for 4:3 material? I have a bunch of fullscreen movies and games that are in 4:3, and I would like to be able to put something up when I'm watching/playing them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1) You have to order from Parkland. It takes about a week to receive.

2) I cut it with a razor knife. I used the 8 x 5 sheet to make an 8 x 4.5 screen. The frame I mounted it on has an extra 2.5" on each edge for trim. Thus, the sides do not have any of the parkland plastic sheet under the edges. On the top and bottom, the sheet goes all the way under the molding. That way, the slightly uneven edges where I cut it are hidden.

3) Many people say to paint foam or gatorboard black and mount it using velcro. I haven't gotten that far yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.