AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have purchased and built your screen using the 4 x 8 sheet of Parkland Plastic and then regretted not getting the 5 x 10 sheet? I am concerned with the limitation of the height of the screen using the 4 x 8 sheet.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
IMO it really depends 3 factors.

1. Can your projector drive a bigger screen?

2. Do you have room for a bigger screen?

3. What aspect ratio do you watch most of the time?

If you watch 4:3 material most of the time I would say the 5' high would be a plus. If you watch 16:9 material then 4' high should be fine however if you have the projector and the room to do it, I would go for the larger size because bang for the buck the $25-30 difference is a no brainier.

Mike

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
One factor you should consider is that the 5 x 10' sheets are shipped individually from the factory in a rolled configuration. Many have had problems getting the material to lie perfectly flat.

The 4 x 8' sheets on the other hand are stocked as flat sheets at your local store.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My parkland screen is 46" x 82". My theater room is only 13 x 18, so that size worked out for me. No regrets here

Bill

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the 4' X 8' Parkland and I wish that they did come in a larger size. When I watch 16:9 movies, it doesn't fit perfectly--even with the use of the zoom lens on my pj. Both the screen and pj are permanently afixed at opposite ends of one another.

The only thing I was worried about is that, as someone had mentioned above, the 5'X10' are not available at the local Home Depot whereas the 4'x8' were. I didn't like the idea that it is rolled up and shipped. The 4'X8' ones are ready to go and you don't run the risk of waves because they lay perfectly flat on the shelves.

I figure it's "just for now" screen. I plan on upgrading to a real screen later on anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a 5x10 shipped from the factory -and by gluing it to a couple of sheets of 1/4" plywood, the waves are not an issue. The large size is a bonus on my 16x9 projector (Sanyo PLV-60HT). However, I made a cutting mistake: forgot to account for constant width of the border (made from shoe molding) and screwed up the effective aspect ratio. Now I am ordering another 5x10 sheet -but Parkland is back ordered on the stuff.

Only major annoyance with 5x10: backing material (foam, plywood, etc) will come in 4x8 sheets and you will need to use more than one and join them. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.