AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13x25 room.

The best location for the screen is right in front of the fireplace. I don't mind blocking the fireplace I don't use it.

My plan is to Layout the room With a 7' divider 6' tall (working on exact final measurments). It will support the TV and a center channel. Allow placement of R and L to the sides of the wall in open space.

The wall, I am thinking to either make it with drywall and paint it flat black, or use a black fabric stretched over a frame.

For acoustical reasons would one of those two methods be preferred.

If I wanted to park a sub in a back corner perhaps cloth is better?

Currently I have a 55" LED LCD TV to mount on it. This may change if I dont like it. I was thinking some variable backlighting from behind the wall may work well?

Any input that can point out pitfalls, follies, or other feedback, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For Clarification. That wall would be 2' short of the ceiling, and have 3' on each end. and sit about +/- 3' in front of the current wall. Though 4' Maybe necessary to fit it in front of the bloody fireplace hearth.

Depends how deep I need to make it to hold the Center channel and still have a small gap between it and the hearth.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,597 Posts
Without attachment to the ceiling or wall you need some really beefy framing. At least 2x6. If Possible I would consider some kind of column on each end attaching to the ceiling.

I would move the wall toward the fireplace stick the sub in it. Hide the hearth in a stage

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will bolt the wall to the floor, kick out to L's coming out to the back about 2'. It wont go anywhere.

It will be built out of rough sawn 4/4 Poplar. Which I will bring to finish grade on all all surface to receive a finish detail. Why this over simple 2x4 or 2x6, well simply I have 8,000 board feet of it.

The base of the wall since it will hold the center channel can also extend a little deeper.

I should sketch it up for you, but I find sketching on the computer a pain, and still use trace paper for my designs. And I have no scanner.

Put simply I can build this so it isnt going anywhere without attaching to anything except the slab.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
 http://www.homestyler.com/designerro...d-9f4ac2a2c3d0

Image of the room.

The double wall shown on left and bottom is exterior brick.

At the back is a closet (top), sink (middle, open to room), toilet (bottom)

Both doors in and out of the room are solid exterior doors.

The North side of the plan is a garage wall, insulated.

The two laptops shown in the garage are probable locations for the Rack.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did something similar. I had a alcove in the rec room in the basement and built a free standing wall to hold the TV. The wall is supported by a small stage, so no attaching to existing structure was required. I could round us some images if you are interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.