Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sitting around this morning, waiting for my new HTPC to come back from the tech guys later on today. After a lot of indecision and hard thinking, I had decided to use my new Compaq Presario to run my Boxlight projector with my Technics THX system, and the guys are installing a DVD drive and CMI8738 sound card in the computer.

Let the fun begin! I'm looking forward to getting high quality pictures and sound back after not having it for a year or so.

But when using the Boxlight through my Sony DVD player it kicks up a lot of fan noise that I can't get away from.

To explain: I run my system diagonally across the room because of windows etc. TV in one corner, equipment tower opposite in the other (small room). My 100" screen clips in between the two L&R speakers in front of the TV, leaving room underneath for the center speaker to do its stuff. Perfect for us.

So the projector and equipment tower sits in the corner opposite, and our couches are on either side of it. I'm up close to the unit as chief operator, and the light and noise blast from the PJ (it's loud!) really takes the edge off the film.

Even with my noise-cancelling headset when I'm watching alone, it comes through.

So I need to reduce the fan noise a lot, but without going to the bother of building a proper hush box, because I'll be upgrading to a quieter, newer PJ at some time soon.

The Boxlight is on a shelf in a purpose-built commercial stand. It sits on glass, and all four sides are open. It pretty much takes up the whole space with only a few inches spare all round.

Not a good start for getting this unit quietened.

What can I do? Can I put partitioning around it and add an entrance and exit fan either side, and what power fans do I need? Or is there a better way? I'm reluctant to go through all the rewiring to shift it elsewhere.

I've looked at hush boxes around this forum, but all seem purpose-built and not a 'temporary' solution as I need.

Thanks for any sound-absorbing or alternative ideas here!

Ken Silver

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Reducing existing noise is hard... eliminating or toning down the noice source (as you suggested) is the best way to go.

Short of replacing the projector, you may be able to upgrade the fan.

If this is not an option, and if the wind noise comes mostly from one place such as a fan exhaust, you might be able to build a pipe to channel the noise elsewhere (and, most importantly, slow down the velocity of the air).

I have obtained decent results with thick PVC tubing (to absorb vibrations) on my projector. If looks is critical, you might have to work hard at hiding the plumbing. You should also make sure that there are as few leaks as possible. BTW, the same solution is used to reduce the noise of HVAC systems (largest possible pipe, with some kinks to slow down the air flow)...

Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eiffel,

Good points.

Looks are the problem though... I bought the tower stand to match my Panasonic TV and stand, matching the colors and design, and though I'm not an advocate for exposed equipment, here I have no choice.

So tubing will be hard to disguise, but I'll take another look at how I can do it.

Ken Silver

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had some good success using plain acoustic tile.

Put the acoustic tile under the PJ, and on all three sides from shelf to shelf, so the PJ is totally enclosed except for the front. If there is a solid wall of tile between you and the projector (ie, if you are not sitting right in front of it), you will get at least 50% reduction in noise, and it will cost less than $20 and less than one hour.

Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pennf,

What about the possibility of overheating in such an enclosed space? My Boxlight runs very hot. Have you noticed any increased temperature difference?

Ken Silver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My LT150 runs fairly hot too. If you leave it fully open in the front, and there is at least 4 inches of clearance all around, it is rarely a problem. When I had a smaller enclosure, I did cut out a square in the back for a 8 CM computer fan to blow in from the back and out the front. The fan was very low RPM and added nothing to the noise. (I powered it with a 9 volt power supply I had laying around)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.