Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there

I closely inspected my bd600, and on the internal testpatterns i noticed that the blue raster is blurred, mainly in the center, but also on top and bottom, left and right. It seems like a big '+' that is blurred. I removed the lens, and saw that on the inside of the tube, there's something i can only describe as 'moist', the same sort of effect when you breath on a piece of glass. Only this is on the inside where the fluid is and won't go away. Is this the 'fungus' i keep hearing about ? Is my tube waisted? If i need to replace the tube, where to look for, and what will it cost me ?

Thanks again

jowi

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
From what your describing, yes it sounds like fungus. What is the condition of the tube otherwise? Any sign of burn? If the tube is burn free it's worth a shot at cleaning it. In short it involves draining the fluid, removing the glass face, cleaning the glass and tube face, re-glue the glass back on and fill with new fluid. The only cost will be for a tube of black silicone glue and a couple of ounces of optical coolant. Do a search for fungus cleaning by KBK.

It is very complete and informative. I assume we are talking about Sony 7" tubes, correct? Also this should be done with the tube removed from the projector to eliminate chance or getting coolant in the electronics of the unit. Hope this helps...

Chip S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tube shows a slight burn-in effect, a very light-brownish layer, a bit darker at the bottom than at the top of the tube ( when placed on the table ). I'm not sure what brand of tubes they are, but there are HD6 lenses mounted on it.

I'm a bit anxious to cut the tube open, what if i screw up and can't it back together?

Anyway i found KBK's posts on CRT cleaning, thanks !

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
The hardest part is getting it apart with a nice clean cut and without breaking the glass after that, cleaning and re-gluing is simple. If you go to E-bay there is a tube that I think is the same as yours. The E-bay # is 1287366957. If your tube looks like this, than that proceedure that KBK describes will fix it. Before you cut it open do another search for fungus. There is a post there someplace with a picture of what fungus looks like. Also locate some replacement optical coolant before you start the job because you will lose some in the process even if your carefull. I would just replace all the fluid with new (about 2.5 ounces). Hope this helps?

Chip S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.