AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Parts Express DOD is the Dayton DSS4-BC Black Chrome Speaker Spike Set 4 Pcs. for $15. Since it is there Friday DOD then it will last the entire weekend.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-715

They look nice but have no idea if they are good for the price, any thoughts?

Looks like you would have to buy 7 if you want free shipping or something else as there free shipping is only for orders over $98.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Find. I was looking for a good deal on some nice spikes.

I was going to buy some from Meniscus for $7.25 each.

They look to me the same.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
What is the purpose of these spikes?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up on them being sturdy.

You right about making a big sub a SOB to move though. I have not ordered any yet, just figuring out what else I might need to make an order over $98 to get free shipping.

I got some smaller subs I may use them for so hopefully they don't sell out before I place my order.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17043458

To make a heavy sub a SOB to move around. Not recommended for any one with nice hardwood floors.

That makes sence you dont want your sub walking all over the room during a movie but ive seen them on tower speakers also.

Ive seen some that are adjustable wich seems like a good idea too i just wonder about the point? does it help with carpet maybe?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I've measured all my subs with and without spikes and found no difference. Half the claims for them say they do a better job of coupling the sub to the floor, the other half say they do a better job of de-coupling it. All I know is that IME all they do is separate one from their cash.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spikes are for enclosures that rest on carpet, they are not intended for hardwood or tile floors.

On carpet they just help to couple the cabinet to the floor below since some tall speakers can be a little wobbly when they are on thick pile carpet. They also help for subwoofers on carpet as well, I used to have a Sunfire True sub that would actually move around on the carpet, spikes definitely helped that situation.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/17875889

On carpet they just help to couple the cabinet to the floor below since some tall speakers can be a little wobbly when they are on thick pile carpet.

I could see that as being possible.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a pair of Aerial model 9's and with those speakers I would say the spikes are mandatory as the speaker is tall but narrow and most of the weight is at the top.

With no spikes the Aerial's were very easy to knock over but with the outrigger spikes they were solid and it would take a lot to knock them over.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/17875972

nothing beats bringing a 5 month old thread back from the grave!

You get flamed for not using the search function and you get flamed if you do.

I guess its better on this site to just clutter the forums with the same questions over and over and over then to search and bring an older post back.

I figure if its old equipment maybe but these spikes im seeing more and more often.

This was the only thread i found with any talka bout the spikes. Maybe i should search under somthign else?

It worked though mjaudio answered my question.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/17890512

You get flamed for not using the search function and you get flamed if you do.

I don't think his comment was directly related to you, I think he was more just flaming the thread for coming back from the dead.

It might be a good idea to start a thread about the pros and cons of using spikes. This thread's title only points to a sale which is long over but that doesn't mean there are not others out there wondering the same thing you did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts