AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been thinking i might just build me a set of LCR's and think these look nice but has anyone used them??

center

or
other center

or would these be beter off for the l&r

if you were going to use any of the cabnets for lcr which ones would you use?? also for drivers im thinking i like the

audax woof

i dont know about the tweets as of yet since i am still loking through there maybe some ribbons. but anyway i guess my actual question is has anyone used these cabnets and what drivers did you use??

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Prior to choosing the Audax Home Theater speakers for my DIY speakers, I too found the HT speaker kit at PartsExpress.

I even stopped in their showroom outside of Dayton Ohio while attending the Ham Radio convention to see the Vance Dickason HT set. Unfortunately, they had the cabinets for the kit on display, but not an assembled set. There was no way to listen to it and make any informed decision.

The cabinets in the VD kit looked well made, but I don't remember any internal bracing. I even posted on the PE board asked about the HT set. Nobody had built the set, only one person replied that they knew someone who did.

It is priced very competitively to the Audax HT set I built, the drivers are similar in quality, the tweeters might even be a bit better (when I looked at that time, they were a bit more expensive)

I did read one "respected" builder of DIY speakers statement that he had built a set for someone and they sounded great. You will have to search for reviews of how they sound. You may have more luck than I did.

One thing I can be certain of... I think they cut-and-pasted the add copy from one of their simpler kits to the add for the HT set. There is NO WAY one person is going to sort through the parts, assemble 5 crossovers, solder them, mount and wire them, and then the install 15 drivers in 2 hours. I know it would take me at least 2 1/2 hours ;)

Oh yes, the new line of prefinished cabinets with the removable front pannels looks really well made. (different than the unassembled, unfinished cabinets you linked to) Look for them on the PE site at this link: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...302-750&ctab=3 They have them in three colors and different sizes from .25 cubic foot to 1 cubic foot volume.

This line of cabinets is internally braced and from what I have heard, the finish is of very high quality. The only complaint I've heard is that it is tricky to cut the holes in the front panel without marring the finish. If you can work that issue, or repaint the front once you are through with your cuts, then they are way faster than assembling a cabinet on your own.

Joe L.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx.. i was worried about weight.. as far as internal bracing that shouldnt be a problem as long as the baffles can be removed. even some spray on deadner to tight it up. i just might have to get the full kit for 900.. though id like to get the aerogel drivers since i have heard they are very nice in sound.. might have to just buy a set and build a single cabnet and hear how it sounds.. anyway thx again..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.