AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is now giving me his old Fisher (1970 vintage) speakers. Unknown model. I want to gut them and put new drivers in. Are the Daytona drivers good or should I look to another brand? They are three ways so I need woofers, mids and tweets.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Dayton makes good speakers. Parts-Express has some of the best customer service as well. Of course theres better drivers out there and that means more $$$$$ but for the money daytons pretty good.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks! I meant Dayton. Not Daytona.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
No problem! I knew what was going on
haha.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did replace some of the drivers about 20 years ago with Radio Shack parts. I don't think the woofers were more than $20! Cheap crap! I just want to gut everything and start over.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Id look into the econowaves if i were you. Should cost about $250 for parts plus the wood and your time. Or you can buy pre cut boxes that all you have to do is assemble and cut the horn cutout. thos run about $70 a box. Id rather just build my own boxes for no more than about $75 and save some money. Nothing wrong with revamping your old speakers if that how you want to go but theyre a good inexpensive option for the performance you get.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You can probably find drivers that fit the cutouts, and you can certainly find pre-made crossovers that are close, and you'll get reasonably good sound.

However, you also have the option of replacing the front panel (baffle) and installing a modern, high-end speaker design. In effect, you can use the boxes to hold a top-grade, proven design. The only requirement is to find a design that wants a baffle width that's close to your enclosures, since baffle width is a major design parameter. Designs specify the drivers, their mounting geometry and the crossover circuit. Many also include one or more box size options as well. Some are free for non-commercial use, others are sold as kits (usually very reasonable).

Here's the master list (don't get lost in it):
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211558

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does one remove the front baffle? I am guessing it is glued or nailed in. I don't have them in front of me yet to check.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
They will most likely be thin chipboard with no bracing. Burn them rather than trying to find something that will simply fit in them, when for not much more effort you could build a box from scratch that will work with the design you choose and be a much better built unit too. One of the EWave designs uses a standard PE cabinet, but Zilch would need to provide details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts