AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered new bulb, for my G11, from AVS. The most money by a factor of 100 I have ever paid for a light bulb. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif Passed 1000 hours and reset timer. Would like to go another 10% to 20% before changing. My average per strike time would be about 2.5 to 3 hours and never less than 30 minutes. The image is still bright enough. Who has gone past 1000 and by how far? How much of a chance am I taking by pushing for an extra 200 hours? Am I allowed to ask questions about a D-ILA on the LT-150 forum? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

William
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

[This message has been edited by William (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Which model William?

Larry

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

·
Registered
589 Posts
I put this info somewhere on this forum,

I had checked with a bulb (lamp) expert and he verified

what is also printed in the LT150 user manual;

i.e., there is a risk that the lamp will "shatter"

after 1000 hours.

Regrets to us both, I also detest those high priced lamps!

------------------

Jim Story

Live long and Prosper

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by videohot:
Which model William?

Larry

G11U

------------------

William

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't tell me everyone trashed there D-ILA and got a LT150. I remember reading where someone who after changing his lamp was going to hook it until it exploded or died. It seem in his picture he had a long dark beard. Is he still with us are was the explosion to much? Someone out there has to be at or over 1000 hours.

------------------

William

·
Registered
842 Posts
Over the past few weeks lots of power hits took my lamp life test down numerous times. The last time when i tried to start the lamp again it exploded. About 1856 hours total. The lamp damaged the inside of the housing and bent the heat sink, but would have done no damage to the projector. Bare standard product lightbulbs are available from a couple of perkin-elmer distributors are available for about $600. Many caveats apply including the ability to correctly take apart the old housing and insert the bulb. If you are really interested in doing this email me after monday. But in general most people should buy the complete bulb assembly and buy it from AVscience which currently has the best price.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kevin,

Already ordered AVS lamp. But I still would like to get at least 10% more time on my old lamp. Does anyone else have any over 1000 hours experience?

------------------

William

·
Registered
581 Posts
I though at a minimum one of the JVC reps not sure if it was Tom that used to visit this forum said 1200 is save there is a safety cushin they give you.

I'll try to find the post.

HUgo

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Nick

LOL thats just as funny now as it was the first time I saw it.

Larry

------------------

DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!

Fight the DMCA it's anti first amendment

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Anybody close to or over 1000 hours?
Disney runs their D-ILAs to over 2000 hours.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
What is the warranty position on damage to the projector caused by an exploding bulb? Even if the projector were over 1000 hours, I would think that resetting the counter would hide this fact, no?

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

·
Registered
547 Posts
don't worry too much about bulb explosion. I am sure that jvc engineers have tested and run the projector over 2000 hours without problems. Mark is right, Disney over run their bulbs all the time. jvc have tested the bulb enlessly until it exploded to see what actually happened. and nothing did happen that had caused fire nor severe damage to the projector.

remember that the projector bulb housing and bulb themselves are techniquelly fire safe and bulb explosion safe. assume that a bulb exploses within the projector, it shouldn't effect or damaged the projector at all. the warnings we get in the manual are just a precautions, to be safe.

seng

·
Registered
208 Posts
So are you saying, "Run them until they explode."?

Jeff

------------------

What would you do with a brain if you had one? --Judy Garland

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
It would still be nice to know who picks up the tab if something does break, though.

Andy K.

------------------

"L T One-Fifty

Did your light guide the wisemen,

to baby Jesus?"

·
Registered
835 Posts
The only reason Disney can run their lamps for 2000 hours is because they almost never shut down. Starting the lamp adds a lot to the wear on it, I imagine the 1000 hours accounts for higher than average cycles; so, if you keep your projector on for several hours at a time and don't end up starting the lamp as many times, you could probably push it a bit. 10-20% is not bad (you could probably even go higher), it depends on how risk-adverse you are. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I wouldn't recommend running it till the bulb explodes though. You'd have to clean all the glass out... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have run the lamp for about 1500 hours twice without any explosions. The picture gets noticeably dimmer, but it does save some $.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.