AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seven channel amp in a 5.1 system, and decided to try bi-amping from my processor (which allows the surrout rears to be re-assigned as l/r for bi-amping). My Paradigm studios only allow for passive bi-amping. I haven't noticed a huge difference either way. Since it is currently hooked up this way, I'm inclined to leave it, but I want to clarify something: does passive bi-amping put more or less pressure on the amp? Some would say more because you are using all seven channels instead of five, which taxes the power supply, and the extra power from the two amps is just wasted. Others would say less because you are now using four amps to power two speakers, and would get a bit more headroom as a result. Which is it?

Chris

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If your amp is designed properly then it shouldn't put a strain on the power supply.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I've heard differing opinions on this. Some say that although the speaker isn't consuming any more power, both amps are still amplifying the full signal so they take more power from the power supply. These opinions seem to track with the two views of an amp as a current or as a voltage source. It probably comes down to how the particular amp is implemented.

As best I understand it, for the typical amp Kevin is right. The limiting factor on a multi-channel amp is usually the power supply. If one channel is limited feeding power to the speaker, then two channels will be just as limited. You will offload one amp channel (a little), but keep roughly the same load on the power supply.

You lurkers be careful, though. Not all receivers allow bi-amping as does Chris' processor. Read your manual; it should say one way or the other.

And if it were me, I wouldn't waste the wire to do passive bi-amping. But I wouldn't worry about the amp if you choose to leave it as is.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All things being equal, I would keep it since I have the wire, bindnig posts, and extra set of outputs. Y'know... just because I can.

To those same lurkers, you can also bi-amp using a Y cable out of your single set of outputs, but I'm not sure if splitting the line level signal would degrade quality in any way. I suspect not, as long as the cable run is short.

Chris

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
No, splitting a signal into high-impedance sinks (like an amp) shouldn't be a problem at all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Chis,

Congratulations with your AVP700 purchase. I heard this pre-amp over the weekend and liked what I heard.

I've couple of questions for you:

1. How do you like CD playback using ANALOG DIRECT vs. using AVP700 internal DAC?

2. Does the the BI-AMP reassigning of SRL and SRR output work properly in the ANALOG DIRECT... where your L & R drives the high's and SRL and SRR drives the low's?

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My CD player is a fairly low-level Marantz that I use as a digital transport. The DACs in my previous reciever (Marantz SR8200) and processor (Anthem AVM30) sounded better, so to be honest, I haven't tried it in analogue direct from CD. The Arcam is so good, I wouldn't think you'd beat it's two channel performance without a pretty high end player. I have used it in direct mode for SACD and DVD-A from my Denon 2900. It sounds very good and I've heard that the AVP700 is fantastic as an analog pre-amp, but the DACs of the Denon are still a limiting factor.

To your second question: if I understand correctly, the processor re-assigns the SRL and SRR outputs to be a mirror of the L and R at all times. It's a setting in the menu where you can use the sixth and seventh channel for Dolby Surr EX, Zone 2, or bi-amping.

Chris

·
Registered
480 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that an AVP700 has a good DAC's. I've only heard AVP700 in an ANALOG DIRECT mode that was being driven by the Arcam CD192. This combo has produced wide soundstage, better then expected depth, and a very precise imaging.

My search for the processor has ended... As soon as I'll decide on the 7-channel amp, I'll buy the AVP700 at the same time.

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
480 Posts
Chris,

I would like to clarify your response regarding the bi-amping. I understand that EX settings have the manual Surround EX mode, were you can use channels 6+7 for BIAMPING L +R.

Since I would like to use the Stereo DIRECT, the AVP700 will automatically bypass all processing. In other words, the DSP will be turned off in the Stereo DIRECT mode. Will my redirected SRL + SRR outputs still feed my bi-amped main speakers in the Stereo DIRECT mode?

Best regards,

Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.