AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm building a small portable speaker. I'm using two 2" drivers. However, I'm running into an issue with box size.

The recommended box size per driver for a vented enclosure is .02' cubed however the box size i have is .033 for two drivers and three PRs. Would I be better off Using one PR and making the box a little bigger? Or keeping the same size and using three PRs?

The box is completely symmetrical. For three PRs I'm thinking i would put 2 smaller ones on each of the ends(highlighted in green) and then there will be plastic inserts that go in the sides. The front will hold two full Range drivers from Fountek and the back will hold another larger PR. For one PR I would make the ends go in deeper to make a bigger box and only have the big PR in the back.

Feel free to ask questions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Have you modeled both scenarios, or are you just looking for advice based on general info? Do you have driver and pr parameters to be able to model both scenarios?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am basically just looking for advice based on general info. I could model both scenarios, I have the driver parameters, but I'm going to just design and build the PRs to match my needs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well I don't know the deep science behind pr applications. I just stay within the recommended design criteria to achieve the desired goals. So I'd say if both designs yield a workable solution, pick the one you like better and go for it. Sorry I couldn't provide more in-depth suggestions, but I rely mostly on the design simulation software to proof my ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What software would I use to simulate everything? The pics I posted are modeled in freecad with the purpose of 3d printing all the parts, or maybe using a CNC to mill the body out of solid walnut.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
^^ Also try Unibox. A friend has used it on a Mac, so I presume it will be OK for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts