AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a passive sub or not, reason being is, I have several good amps laying around collecting dust and would like to get some use out of them.

Can some of you list any benifits from going passive vs. active? And doing so, would it require having an inline eq system?

I've been eyeing this: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-csplus1.cfm

My room is roughly 25' x 14' open to dining area on side for 3/4 of the room. Ceilings are sloped to one side at 12" on one side 8' at the other.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You save $324. If your amps are adequate or even rated higher, then your golden. More than likely, your external amp is better than the plate amps used in most subs. If an amp fails, it's fairly easy to replace. Have a powerful enough amp, you can drive a second sub. As with any sub, you just have to be careful not to over-drive it. I would contact SVS and tell them what amp you want to use to drive the 16-46. I surprised they still don't have a new CS-Ultra.

Additional Eq, if required, would be needed for an active or passive sub. So it's a null issue.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Go passive buy second-hand cinema professional 18” a loudspeaker active crossover management system and amplifier and have some wicked fun.

Behringer DCX2496 is cool active crossover that can be selected to many things that most active subs can’t do. Also throw in the Behringer BFQ2496 parametric EQ for smoothing out the frequency response is an added bonus.

If you tend to get boom! Then how about moving the sofa forwards to the front especially with matching fronts LCR and the sub or subs placed up front adds a nice smoothness as the boom will be then behind you and unnoticed! All that you will notice is the sofa vibrating at certain key sub LFE.1 moments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much, for the input. I have a couple of QSC RMX-2450's that have been unemployeed for a while and needing work. You guys feel these would do the job? I believe they would do fine, but might be over looking something.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Thanks much, for the input. I have a couple of QSC RMX-2450's that have been unemployeed for a while and needing work. You guys feel these would do the job? I believe they would do fine, but might be over looking something.

You wouldnt want to sell one of those, cheap would you??

Maybe we can trade, I have a QSC 1850HD which will work great with your sub!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One negative about passive subs is that they are harder to resell down the road. I've had a CS-Ultra sitting idle for a couple months because nobody in my area wants to touch a passive sub with a 10-ft pole.

As soon as you mention that, yes they need an external amp, most lose interest. If you are going to keep the sub forever, then go ahead with passive

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14228199

You wouldnt want to sell one of those, cheap would you??

Maybe we can trade, I have a QSC 1850HD which will work great with your sub!!

hehe, thanks for the offer, but they been here this long, I think they have gotten rather attached to the cats. I see them trying to sneak up on each other all the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow /forum/post/14228229

One negative about passive subs is that they are harder to resell down the road. I've had a CS-Ultra sitting idle for a couple months because nobody in my area wants to touch a passive sub with a 10-ft pole.

As soon as you mention that, yes they need an external amp, most lose interest. If you are going to keep the sub forever, then go ahead with passive

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't thought of that. But since I don't sell gear to often, maybe I'll be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts