AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help. Question about a Passive Sub:

Let's say a sub driver has a frequency range of 20Hz - 80Hz. Inside the enclosure - are the input connectors directly connected to the speaker terminals, with dependence on proper 80Hz external crossover configuration? Or are there additional electronic elements between the enclosure inputs and the speaker terminals? I don't see why an enclosure crossover would be necessary in this type of speaker configuration.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks again.

-paul.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You don't mention which sub model you have, but most passive subs would rely on having their input already crossed over (at, say, 80Hz) from the separate sub woofer amplifier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You don't mention which sub model you have, but most passive subs would rely on having their input already crossed over (at, say, 80Hz) from the separate sub woofer amplifier.
I understand the concept of a passive sub using an external crossover. What I'd like to know is what's normally inside the box (the sub enclosure), if anything? Are the enclosure inputs wired directly to the speaker terminals without any other in-line electronic components?

-paul.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
As you are asking in the DIY section I will assume you are referring to the passive subs people in this forum have built. The answer would be yes, the input connector is connected directly to the speaker. No xover within the sub itself. *

(* In probably 99.999% of the builds)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you are asking in the DIY section I will assume you are referring to the passive subs people in this forum have built. The answer would be yes, the input connector is connected directly to the speaker. No xover within the sub itself. *

(* In probably 99.999% of the builds)
Correct :) That's what I'm asking. So in essence if an external crossover is to be used with a passive sub - there's really nothing else inside the box (in terms of electronics) besides the speaker.

Thanks again.

-paul.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts