AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best practice in connecting a passive sub using speaker level inputs:

1. Connect the sub in parallel to the Front L and R, i.e., both Front L and R and the sub are hooked up to the receiver, or

2. Connect the receiver to the Sub's speaker level inputs and go from there to the Front L and R.

For reference, I have a Denon 2803 to use with an old set of Polk Audio RM 5000 speaker set.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dusted off the old speaker manual. Bad move, because now I am even more confused...

The RM 5000 manual recommends (a). sub and speaker in parallel or (b). the Front L and R connected to the receiever and the sub connected to the Front L and R.

Option (b). put the Front L and R ahead of the sub in the signal stream. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I haven't received my 2803 yet but on my old Pioneer, I used the "A" speaker connections for the front L/R and the "B" speaker connections go to the sub.

I thought the 2803 would be similar but as I said, I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kingsfan
I just dusted off the old speaker manual. Bad move, because now I am even more confused...

The RM 5000 manual recommends (a). sub and speaker in parallel or (b). the Front L and R connected to the receiever and the sub connected to the Front L and R.

Option (b). put the Front L and R ahead of the sub in the signal stream. Does this sound right?
Sounds like (option b) they want you to connect the speakers to the L/R on the amp, then hook the sub top the speakers.

Unless the mains are rated higher than 8ohms, I would use option B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.