AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thank you I. Advance for your help and I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up. My brother got a nice 5.1 package because he got a good deal and doesn't know a ton about audio. I am an amateur myself and could use a hand setting up his passive sub. I flew to the Midwest and helped my brother set his system up to a mid level denon receiver but I was shocked to see his sub is passive. Does he need to buy a sub amp plate or is there a way to set his sub up to the second zone as if bi-amping? From my understanding there is no adapter from speaker wire to a sub cable because the sub line is a form of RCA and doesn't carry a strong enough current through it. Any suggestions on how to hook it up? Can he buy a cheap stereo receiver and use his denon as a pre? Can he bypass getting anything extra? Or does he need to bite the proverbial bullet and get a sub amp? If so any suggestions on inexpensive but adequate amps? Thanks again!

Regards,

A

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Unless it's a good quality passive subwoofer, ie a SVS PC Ultra, I wouldn't waste my time.

But if it is a good subwoofer, then av amplifier really aren't suitable, as generally subwoofers are 4ohm and low end gear can't drive them.

You can't use the second set, as that would be full range downmixed. You'd need to use the LFE out, RCA, into a power amplifier, then onto your subwoofer.

You could buy a pro amp, they usually are suitable for 4ohm speakers, don't know much about them but I do remember the passive SVS subs were paired with Samson S1000 and Crown K1/K2's

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
What is the passive subwoofer brand and size? It is common to use a pro amp with passive subwoofers I use Berhinger amps for my passive subwoofers.

·
Premium Member
12,336 Posts

Quote:
... My brother got a nice 5.1 package ... but I was shocked to see his sub is passive. Does he need to buy a sub amp plate or is there a way to set his sub up to the second zone as if bi-amping? ... Can he buy a cheap stereo receiver and use his denon as a pre? ... Or does he need to bite the proverbial bullet and get a sub amp? If so any suggestions on inexpensive but adequate amps?
As indicated by others, your brother needs to buy a sub amp or a pro amp. parts-express.com has lots of both types of amps available at fairly reasonable prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts