AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 5.1 Onkyo passive HT system and the receiver died so bought a new Yamaha RX-V675 and got everything except the sub to work. Since the sub is passive I either need to get a sub with a built in amp or just get the amp and add it on to my current one.

I'm thinking cheapest option would be to just get an amp, but having a difficult time finding one that will work with the Yamaha preout rca ports (see image). Most amps have the old RCA red/white or 3.5mm connectors, I have seen some subs with an LFE port but I have no idea how to hook up these sub properly and would like some assistance and recommendations on what I need to get.

The ports on the Yamaha seem to be mono from what I read and allows 2 subs, so help?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
with rca red/white, you can just plug the "subwoofer pre-out" from the avr into either channel and it will work just fine. most of the time the white is labeled "mono", which is what you would use.

if you can scrape together a little bit of money and just get a new sub, you will really jack up the wow factor of your system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So take the preout from the receiver and plug it into the white rca on of the amp? was thinking about getting something like this.

If I was to get a sub I would assume the same would apply? or should I get one with LFE which is what I'm assuming is the proper way to hook it up.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can connect the black subwoofer out RCA port on the AVR to a red or white RCA in on any normal amp, and connect the sub to that.

You might be better off getting a subwoofer plate amp for this.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332

But depending on the sub you have, even a cheap powered subwoofer can probably blow it out of the water.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95
Thanks, that what I wanted to be sure about. Regarding the plate amp, the sub is on the opposite side of the receiver near the near speakers. The wires for the passive sub are going down to the basement and up to the other side. I was thinking of getting the one I linked and plugging it next to the receiver and just using the existing (+/-) from the amp to the passive sub, is this a good idea? This way I can avoid running 10ft RCA cable.

Receiver rca amp > passive sub

1 - 8 of 8 Posts