AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t roamed the halls of AVS for a few years now, but it’s new receiver time again, and I need your help (although my Onkyo TX-SR800 is still going strong). I am currently using the analog audio outputs on my OPPO BDP-83 to achieve Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and an external Monoprice HDMI switcher to travel between my Roku, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Tivo, and HTPC. It's time for me to take advantage of the internal HDMI switching and video scaling that receivers have been offering for the last several years.

My goal is to find a new receiver that will last another 10+ years and provide me with the quality experience I received from my old Onkyo.

Here are the models I am currently considering:

Onkyo - TXNR3010 - 1260W - 55.1 lbs

Denon - AVR4520CI - 1350W - 41.9 lbs

Marantz - SR7008 - 2115W - 27.6 lbs

Yamaha - RX-A3030BL - 1350W - 40.1 lbs

Pioneer-Elite - SC-77 - 1710W - 33 lbs

My questions:

1. Do any of these receivers stand ahead of the crowd with sound quality or video scaling, and why?

2. Does heavier weight translate to better build quality/higher quality components/capacitors/power supplies/heat sinks, as it did 13 years ago? I am in the appliance industry, and I can tell you that heavier weight generally equates to higher quality with the products my company produces.

3. Is advertized wattage accurate?

4. Which brand currently provides the greatest life span/durability?

5. Are there any other brands/models in this category I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
The Village Idiot
9,686 Posts
1. I think each of those models would do a good job on video. I don't study video performance of any AVR and it is seldom mentioned as a problem.

2. Weight alone isn't a good indicator of better quality. I owned a Crown XLS-1500 amp for a few months - it weighs 11 pounds and has more power than any other amp I've ever owned. It is a digital amp with something like 525wpc - two channels. FWIW I'd scratch the Onkyo (and any model Onkyo) off my list.

3. Depends on who you ask. And the answer could be short - or the subject of a long thread. If shopping on weight alone as the standout spec the Onkyo would go into nearly everyone's shopping cart. The light weight of the Marantz kind of surprised me.

4. Probably Yamaha.

5. NAD .

Reactions: Geeky Girl

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
+1 on the Yamaha for longevity and sound. Imo it will virtually cover all of your requirements. Still feel at this time Yamaha makes the most feature laden,dependable with sound that rivals any on the market. Also give the NAD T758 a serious look. Stated power is there but lacks some other features you want/need. JMHO.

·
Registered
148 Posts
1. If there is any discernible sound difference you would be hard pressed to tell. I think they all offer pretty comparable video scaling, which doesn't matter anyway if you are running HD content. Can also just passthrough to your TV as most TV's have pretty good scalers.

2. Weight can be an indicator of quality. But there are other factors as well. So no don't use weight alone to judge an AVR's quality.

3. Never is in the AVR market. Except maybe NAD. Look for the 20hz-20khz 2ch driven spec. most have that and gives you a good idea as to its performance.

4. Yamaha. And from what I have seen of the latest batch of AVR's they have the best look of quality about them. Denon and Pioneer look cheap. IMO anyway.

5. NAD T758, Anthem MXR 510 or 710

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knucklehead90,

Why would you scratch the Onkyo off of your list? I am just asking, because my experience with the TX-SR800 was so favorable.

Bun-Bun,

Do you know if Anthem has fixed the video scaling issues that Secrets reported with their previous line-up?

·
The Village Idiot
9,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542  /t/1506526/past-time-to-upgrade-thanks-in-advance-for-your-help/0_50#post_24095356

Knucklehead90,

Why would you scratch the Onkyo off of your list? I am just asking, because my experience with the TX-SR800 was so favorable.

Bun-Bun,

Do you know if Anthem has fixed the video scaling issues that Secrets reported with their previous line-up?

A quick Google search for "Onkyo HDMI problems" will give you a boatload of info. And FWIW I've owned several Onkyo products over the past few years. Onkyo SC885 - HDMI Problems - Onkyo 506 AVR which a nephew now owns has HDMI problems - Integra DHC 40.1 (made by and sold by Onkyo) had HDMI problems - I got it fixed then promptly sold it. I'm done with Onkyo for now. I love the gadetry they put on their AVRs - very attractive. I did buy an NR818 the first of the year - got nervous and sold it. I'm hoping the guy that bought it isn't having problems but I have reservations. It was working great when I sold it.

Nuff said!

FWIW I don't follow Anthem.

Buy the Yamaha and don't look back!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just purchased the Marantz SR7008 and so far love it. As far as the weight is concerned, I would be worried at all. Recently several manufacturers have begun using switching mode power supplies like in your computer. These weigh a significant amount less than traditional power supplies. Perhaps this is what Marantz did. What I can tell you is that it sounds very good and I haven't even run Audyssey yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542  /t/1506526/past-time-to-upgrade-thanks-in-advance-for-your-help#post_24095356

Knucklehead90,

Bun-Bun,

Onkyo's interfaces and way of doing things seems to be weird. I don't like it. And they have HDMI issues as of late.

No I do not know if Anthem has fixed any issues. I have no personal experience with them. Just suggested it as something else to look at.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05  /t/1506526/past-time-to-upgrade-thanks-in-advance-for-your-help#post_24095690

I just purchased the Marantz SR7008 and so far love it. As far as the weight is concerned, I would be worried at all. Recently several manufacturers have begun using switching mode power supplies like in your computer. These weigh a significant amount less than traditional power supplies. Perhaps this is what Marantz did. What I can tell you is that it sounds very good and I haven't even run Audyssey yet.
That's interesting. I was wondering why all of the Marantz receivers seemed so light. I had no idea.

Like Knucklehead90 mentioned, I had issues with 2 Onkyos (same model) blowing up HDMI inputs. I sent both back and I'm done with Onkyo as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone tried Cambridge? Also, what about 9.2 vs. 7.1? The Anthem is 7.1, and all of the units i mentioned are 9.2. Is it even worth it to add the extra channels? If the Anthem's sound quality and build quality are noticeably superior, i could care less about all of the other bells and whistles. My dedicated theater is a 14':21' rectangle.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542  /t/1506526/past-time-to-upgrade-thanks-in-advance-for-your-help#post_24100747

Has anyone tried Cambridge? Also, what about 9.2 vs. 7.1? The Anthem is 7.1, and all of the units i mentioned are 9.2. Is it even worth it to add the extra channels? If the Anthem's sound quality and build quality are noticeably superior, i could care less about all of the other bells and whistles. My dedicated theater is a 14':21' rectangle.

Here you go, read what the owners are saying.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443173/owners-thread-cambridge-audio-651r-751r

Prices and comparison chart.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|779551RB&compareItems=01|779651RB&compareItems=01|779751RB&g=10420

1 - 11 of 11 Posts