AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
360 patches are still nothing like the pc patches. your turn on the system. It says " a patch is available for this game/system do you want to download now" yes or no... you click yes and it does it and will reboot if needed. nothing like a PC.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey /forum/post/0

360 patches are still nothing like the pc patches. your turn on the system. It says " a patch is available for this game/system do you want to download now" yes or no... you click yes and it does it and will reboot if needed. nothing like a PC.

Sounds a lot like a PC to me.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M /forum/post/0

Sounds a lot like a PC to me.

Well it's not a toaster, if that's what you mean.

Occasionally game makers will update their products by a patch. If one find's that objectionable, then perhaps they should sell their 360 on the ebay, because I don't think it's going to stop. I personally prefer support after a product has shipped, but I understand that others don't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unfortunately as games get more and more complex, patches are going to be needed.

In previous generations, games that did have bugs usually COULDN'T be patched at all so you were SOL if it was one that erased your save or wouldn't let you progress, etc. At least now you are given the ability to (and you don't have to except if you want to play online in a Live enabled game). Also patches for games on consoles in general are a lot more stable as in you don't get the case where a PC patch might hose the NVIDIA people, or such and such sound card, etc.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 /forum/post/0

I thought if i purchased a 360 i wouldnt have to deal with patches and updates. I get that with the PC. I dont want to have to deal with it on the 360. how often do you have to download patches with/for games on an average? I want the 360 for simplification.

It's nothing to be concerned about. The Xbox 360 patches are very infrequent and they're very small in file size (it always takes me less than 30 seconds to download the patches on a 10mb/s cable connection).

Now, there are also game patches that are released by the game studios. For the games that I own, the patches have been good because they either fixed bugs or improved gameplay or both. Of course, there are some game patches that may cause issues but I haven't come across those.

To answer your question, I've had my 360 since Feb 2006 and I think there were around 3 Xbox 360 patches since then (most of which added features).

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
When you think about it, the patches are actually a *good* thing, in that they can address major game issues dynamically over time. This is particularly important for multiplayer games, where cheating, exploits, and balance are all issues over time, but is still useful even for strictly offline games.

Think about all the bugs reported in Knights of the Old Republic II... Some of them were minor, but some were pretty nasty; if a patch had been able to be released to correct just a few of the larger bugs, the perceived quality of the title probably would have been a good bit higher.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Patches are a problem if developers use them as a crutch to release unfinished games to be patched later.

This hasn't really been the case with the 360, and as stated patches are pretty transparent and oftentimes offer new functionality and content.

·
Registered
563 Posts
if it's a patch for a game it will install when the game starts (assuming you're connected to Live). It will tell you there's a patch available and ask if you want to install it. It will download, install, and restart the game.

If it's a system update it will ask when you turn the machine on.

Both will prevent you from being on Live if you don't update.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC /forum/post/0

Patches are a problem if developers use them as a crutch to release unfinished games to be patched later.

This hasn't really been the case with the 360, and as stated patches are pretty transparent and oftentimes offer new functionality and content.

Consoles all have higher QA than PCs because MS, Sony or Nintendo have to approve the game before it ships. On PCs MS doesn't run through every program that gets released just to make sure it is good code. Pc developers can put out much buggier games than console makers which is why pc games get so many more patches.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673 /forum/post/0

Consoles all have higher QA than PCs because MS, Sony or Nintendo have to approve the game before it ships. On PCs MS doesn't run through every program that gets released just to make sure it is good code. Pc developers can put out much buggier games than console makers which is why pc games get so many more patches.

I understand that.

Having the ability to patch games later makes it a concern, though.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:

LOL ... just a concern? im still having WoW flashbacks, a PC game i had for 2 weeks and just gave up on as i couldnt get it running for more then 4 hours at a time. (but when it ran it was good.) But the way its talked about i dont think i have anything to worry about with patches and the 360. I just dont want to be running into that type of experience anymore so i ask questions.

If i am downloading a patch and my cable modem drops out can the patch get corrupted and if so what then? just erase the patch and download it again? is the patch installed on a harddrive? and if the harddrive becomes corrupted then what happens?

Yes, just a concern. Until there are games blatantly released unfinished that require frequent patching, it's just a concern.

I've never heard of anyone having any problems with corrupted patches. This isn't analagous to WoW in any way.

If your hard drive becomes corrupted then you'd replace it and redownload the patches. Losing your saved games would be a much bigger problem then having to repatch a game. Again, it's pretty painless and happens automatically.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan /forum/post/0

Well it's not a toaster, if that's what you mean.

Occasionally game makers will update their products by a patch. If one find's that objectionable, then perhaps they should sell their 360 on the ebay, because I don't think it's going to stop. I personally prefer support after a product has shipped, but I understand that others don't.

Your toaster doesn't require a patch??? I thought EVERYTHING required patches these days?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0

Funny but there are MANY other devices that are updated and patched these days.

TIVO

HD DVD Players

BLU Ray Players

Smart Phones

Universal Remotes

I'm sure people can name a few more.

Get used to it

Almost EVERYTHING electronics based receives a patch or firmware update nowadays. Routers, AV Receivers, MP3 players, Satellite/Cable boxes, etc.

Welcome to the software world!

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:

if you got some time i would love some xbox360 101.

can you give me a kind of play by the numbers? like do i have to?

1. insert game

2. install game?

3. register game?

4. insert 20 digit code for authentification?

5 download patches (which you said is automatic so thats nice)

6. then jump in the game and play or are there more steps?

?

Here's what I do:

1. Insert game

2. Play game

If the game requires a patch, and I am connected to XBL (which is always, even if I am not officially 'signed in' yet), it asks 'do you want to download the patch now?' and I select 'yes.' It then downloads the patch and restarts the game, and so then I

2. Play game

If there is a dashboard update, it asks 'there is a dashboard update available; do you want to download this now?' and I select 'yes' and it downloads the patch and restarts the dashboard.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Quote:

analagous? dont know that word... but it sounds like a good thing. you aint got a definitiion do ya?

if you got some time i would love some xbox360 101.

can you give me a kind of play by the numbers? like do i have to?

1. insert game

2. install game?

3. register game?

4. insert 20 digit code for authentification?

5 download patches (which you said is automatic so thats nice)

6. then jump in the game and play or are there more steps?

First, I have to say that is a great sig line - which I will now commit to my memory.

Second, all you do is put in your game and play it. If there is a patch, it is really simple. You don't install, register, or authenticate games like you do on a PC. Just put it in and play, the 360 takes care of everything for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.