AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to run toslink optical cable about 10 feet and I had two 6 foot cables lying around. So I bought an optical cable joiner that I plugged one end of each cable into, and presto chango I had a 12 foot optical cable that seems to work fine. But my question is this: is there any reason not to do this? I figured that since the data is all digital there was no possibility that this could hurt the sound. Is that correct?

·
Registered
22,170 Posts
I'd say if it works and sounds okay, sit back and enjoy!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
I figured that since the data is all digital there was no possibility that this could hurt the sound. Is that correct?
It isn't always true, but if you can't tell the difference then I would say you are fine.

There are some cases where a bit of dust on one of the ends where you will hear the sound, but it would sound a little odd, as most of the data gets through, but the reduced dynamic range of the "on" from "off" can get harder for the reciever to get a correct reading on the signal path, the error correction can't fix everything.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
asinshesq,

Optical receivers normally have a sensitivity of about -15dB.

I would seriously doubt that your "cable joiner" has a loss even close to this number, so relax and enjoy :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.