AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I go completely insane...the local CBS station isn't digital, so as a result I can't get HDTV for the SuperBowl...WTF! Is this true?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
No, WPRI-DT channel 12 is HD (if you have a HDTV tuner and antenna), also WBZ-DT channel 4 is also HD. You cannot get it through Cable as of yet, so you definitely need a HDTV tuner and antenna to pick them up.

Jim

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Superbowl is on the CBS, right?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've official gone crazy. I call up Cox Communications and explain that WPRI oue local CBS station is HD ready. They responed back. "No sir they are not...I'm sorry if you don't understand or like my explaination? Why don't you call the local station WPRI and ask them why they aren't HD-ready." super sarcastic. So, I go to their website and see this:

http://www.wpri.com/Global/story.asp...4&nav=F2DXGXvm

They are HDTV ready. So, I call back Cox and Cox says, "Yes, they are HDTV ready, but we're in NEGOTIATIONS to get CBS as a HDTV station."

Here's where cable companies drop the ball. They're going to fool around with negotiations and I'll miss the SuperBowl in HD.

Please, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Like I said, get a HDTV tuner, grab an antenna and enjoy all the Networks from Boston (and the one from Providence, others coming soon) and you will enjoy the Pats in HD.

Jim

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Flawless one - if watching the Patriots in HDTV means that much to you - (watching them lose to the Panthers, that is :) ) then go get an antenna (preferably outside) and an HDTV OTA tuner and watch them that way.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Scooper, please do not cry directly into the HDTV tuner :) during the game...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've heard that lots of retailers have generous return policies. :D

Just a thought.

Make sure you keep the boxes and all stuff inside to avoid restocking fee's.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
Scooper, please do not cry directly into the HDTV tuner :) during the game...
Don't worry - I'm not a football fan - I haven't watched the Stupor Bowl in several years... :) - I just had to poke a little fun at the original poster

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
:rolleyes:

Except for some last minute miracle it does not look like Rhode Island will be seeing the Superbowl on CBS in HD and here’s why.

First problem, Cox cable has one of the highest penetration rates in the country in Rhode Island.

Its over 90%, meaning over 90% of Rhode Island homes have the cable company in their homes. This is why I say Rhode Island will not be seeing the Superbowl on CBS in HD. I am not counting OTA and satellite people they are statistically insignificant even doubling their numbers.

Cox Cable Inc. rules like it or not. The people we talk to on the telephone are not top brass and are lucky to be working because listening to some of them, it is obvious they would have a problem spelling HD, let alone know anything about it!

2nd Problem, there are not enough Rhode Islanders in these Forums to get Cox Cable Inc.’s attention. They will listen to the people who pay them, but not a small fringe. Its not worth the $$$ to them to pay a attention to a few cranks and keep in mind the people who we talk to at Cox company. The 300 Cox employees who answer the phone every day certainly out number HD Superbowl inquiries and we all know what HD rocket scientists most of them are.

My solution for “ the people†of Rhode Island is not to have a pipe dream of “let them eat cake†or get more technical or financially have them support the small number of Rhode Island OTA businesses ( which is ok, but not a practical solution for most Rhode Islanders), but to turn the first problem into the solution, by turning around the 2nd problem.

Now

Now is the time for all HD fans and all Football fans to come to the aid of their brothers and sisters in Rhode Island.

Thank you, and please ask for the supervisor.

WPRI / Ch 12 CBS

25 Catamore Blvd

East Providence, RI 02914

Main: 401-438-7200
http://www.wpri.com/

or
http://www.wpri.com/Global/category....38572&nav=F2DX

Cox Cable

401-383-2000

401-383-2000
http://www.cox.com/NewEngland/Service.asp

·
Registered
644 Posts
why be at the mercy of the cable company? instead of spending all your effort trying to convince the cable company, why not just use your energy to put up an antenna & set up a receiver? that way you'll be one of the lucky 10% who is actually capable of getting hd on cbs. once other people see how easy it is & how good the quality is, maybe they'll do it, too. then they'll start being less dependent on cable. when the cable company starts to see that they're losing customers, maybe they'll start to improve their service.

·
Registered
536 Posts
:)

This cable company does many things right in Rhode Island. Public access is one of them. It is C-Span like at a State and Local Government level. It very important to be informed as well as entertained.

Yet, this is getting to be like a bad football game and no one calling any penalties.

Rhode Island is about the size of the King Cattle Ranch near Corpus Christi Texas and can pick up OTA from near by Massachusetts and Connecticut. However, 90% of the people should not be taken lightly. We the people gave them this monopoly. They came to us in our government and they gave us their assurance they would not miss use this privilege and that they would maintain the level of technology that best serves the people. Years latter, when so many of us are connected to the Cable Company, they should not be given a free ride. They should not be given a free pass on an agreement with us that made them one of the most powerful and richest companies in the world. For this reason they must be held to their assurances and kept accountable to the people they serve. Let us not forget that those assurances were made to the poor and old that don’t have some of our options. Believe it or not they are in the wake of what we do and we do something that goes beyond HD.

So we who know must not run. The cable companies must be reminded by the very public they serve that they are not free to do what they want without us, that was the deal. Therefore, what they deliverer and what they do today must hold them accountable to our agreement that got them in our door.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
We are talking about Rhode Island correct?

A) We are not a "Major Market"

B) It just will not happen, this state is too politically incorrect to get things in motion at a good pace

C) Cox does not care about HD, too few people have HDTV TV's to make it worth thier while right now, maybe in a year or so (My best guess)

D) Go buy an antenna and HDTV receiver and enjoy HDTV!

Jim

·
Registered
893 Posts
Your 2 options are as was mentioned by others, get a over the air antenna and HD tuner, or get Bell Expressvu satellite system, with HD receiver...I am in a smaller city(Rochester, NY) and we only have ABC, PBS HD...so for NBC CBS FOX..i`m SOL, well not really as i still get those from Boston via my Canadian satellite. I get all 5 network feeds in HD 24 a day...now that doesnt mean ALL programming is in HD, but when HD shows, sporting events, and local news are being broadcast, they automatically are presented in HD. I have had my set-up for over 2 years now and i love it!:D ...With the HD satellite receiver you can also insert an over the air cartridge for receiving locals in either Digital or HD depending on whatever they are broadcasting at the time...Depending where you live and how far away you are from Boston.. you may require a pretty expensive set-up by time you buy a bigger antenna, pre-amp, rotor, tripod..etc...to give you an idea of what it cost for me to install one for someone an hour away from Rochester...somewhere in the $600.00 range, but thats including installation,and that doesn't include a HD tuner which by itself is probably $200.00 range.... The cost of a HD receiver/system probably same price range, but then you have monthly cost, but you may also opt to ditch your local cable at that point anyway....good luck in whatever you decide...Patriots fan for 26 years here...GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I say Go Patriots.:)

I say Go HD in Rhode Island.:)

I also say go to the small struggling independent local satellite people in their older trucks.

However, there is no way that everyone will have the knowledge that exists in this Forum to say the hell with Cable. We will always be a small growing, but an elite group. If we leave everyone behind to Cable our numbers alone are not enough to drive HD and the programming we all expect. Those numbers are not going change dramatically given the limitations of satellite bandwidth. :(

As we all know, its Cable right now that is driving HD and its programming. Moreover, why, because that is where the people are. Things are finally turning, but not here in Rhode Island :(

In Rhode Island one cable company monopoly (Cox) has 90% of the televisions hooked up in Rhode Island and must make good on the agreement they made that gave them that monopoly:mad:

They are a government given monopoly with an agreement with that government and by proxy the 90% of Rhode Islanders, an agreement to maintain and keep the level of technology up to date. There is no good reason why 90% of Rhode Islanders can not be given the opportunity to receive CBS in HD when the technology has been around for years now. :rolleyes:

It is mean spirited and an abuse of the people’s trust that allowed their monopoly in the first place. It stinks and we should let them know it. :cool:

Come-on, get going patriots::)

WPRI / Ch 12 CBS

25 Catamore Blvd

East Providence, RI 02914

Main: 401-438-7200
http://www.wpri.com/

or
http://www.wpri.com/Global/category...=38572&nav=F2DX

Cox Cable

401-383-2000

401-383-2000
http://www.cox.com/NewEngland/Service.asp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please don't forget about us Connecticut fans stuck in Meriden, Cheshire and Southington. Cox doesnt even provide NESN is these three towns although they supply NESN to sixteen other towns in CT. Always the same lame excuses about negotiations surveys.

We want our local HD channels and we also want NESN.

Go Patriots!!!!

Lafite

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Get a D HD receiver and make sure you "move" to an area with an O&O CBS station, if your local CBS is, then you are all set.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I just took the time to write an email to cox about getting the networks in HD as well. Im about to buy an HDTV and I am struggling to decide if I should buy one with a tuner built in, or also purchase an external tuner. Its driving me nuts. I also live in a loft on the third floor out of four. And I dont know how well an HDTV antenna is going to work in here. There is another building fairly close to this one, so there is no chance of clear line of sight anywhere. So come on Cox, lets get going!!

On the same subject though... if anyone has the Cox HD box, could you answer some questions for me?

Does the video signal for all channels come out of the component output at all times, or just the HD channels?

Howbout the digital audio? are the standard channels also using the digital audio outputs?

When I was living in florida I had the digital cable box with the digital audio output. But the standard channels didnt use that output. So I had to hook up to the stereo audio out for those channels. What was very annoying though was that the digital audio output always had at least some sort of signal coming out of it. Enough so that my receiver would not switch over to the stereo audio becuase it still thought there was digital audio to be had. Im hoping the new box from Cox solves this problem.

Thanks for your help!

Nick in Rhode Island.

(Go Pats!)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.