AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one pick up Paul McCartney since its been out, 26th i think?

it was on tv last night and i was gonna go pick it up but was wondering if anyone had it yet and had some input on sq and pq of this new dvd

let me know

thanks

-Chuck

·
Banned
668 Posts
I saw it on CBC last night, and my impression was that the PQ was just average - I don't know what that means for the DVD, or if it will even be WS.

My overall thought was that there was WAY too much of the audience - Jack Nicholson, Michael Douglas, couple hugging, couples kissing, girls holding candles. Then all of the flashy editing. After a while it looks manipulative and tacky.

I like the way the Springsteen Live in NYC was filmed - it concentrated on the band, and let the energy come through from the audience being in the background.

I'll buy it anyways, but I hope the DVD is substantially difference from the braodcast, and I hope they don't interrupt the music to show us background scenes.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ABCD

My overall thought was that there was WAY too much of the audience - Jack Nicholson, Michael Douglas, couple hugging, couples kissing, girls holding candles. Then all of the flashy editing. After a while it looks manipulative and tacky.

That seems to be modus operandi for Paul. I have "Get back" and "Live in the New World" and they're the same way. Not enough Paul; too much people adoring Paul, and cheesy dubbed in sound effects of crowds and fireworks and such. Of course, I'm sure I'll still buy it.

Fred

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am a man who likes the group The Beatles, not especially one member, what's the fuss all about he must me close to 60. I was a teenager when "I Wanna Hold your Hand" came out on vinyl in 1963ish. The Charles Manson family that killed Sharon Tate and others got his 'vibes' from song Helter Skelter on the White Album in 1976.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
The Charles Manson family that killed Sharon Tate and others got his 'vibes' from song Helter Skelter on the White Album in 1976
Yeah! And don't forget John said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus! Let's burn their albums!

I'm just kidding. What's all the fuss about? Even if you ignore his successful solo career (I believe he was something like the number 2 recording artist in record sales in the 70's, behind Elton John), he is what's left of the Beatles (apologies to Mr. Starkey). He was (and is) probably the most popular Beatle, and one of the 2 most talented. For someone around my age (48), seeing him perform is a joy in many ways. It is a brief visit to my youth, plus his musicianship remains top notch, and his voice is still intact. Yep, he's 60, but an impressive 60.

Of course...to each his own, and he may not be your cup of tea. By the way, it wasn't just the song "Helter Skelter," that "spoke" to Manson, it was much of the White Album. And (I'm sure you're aware), Manson's interpretation was a good bit removed from the writers' intent.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Watched it lastnight too and taped it on VHS so my dad can see it later. My mom wants the DVD of it. That'd be better than seeing part of it with a bunch of commercial interuptions. There were even guys in the audience crying and I'm surprized some kids liked it. I thought kids listened to rap. LOL I'm 19, going on 20, and I sure love that old music. I don't think the concert was filmed in widescreen. I'm guessing it was only filmed in 4x3. So, I don't think a widescreen will be available. But, all in all. It was great. It's the sound of the music that counts.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredsal2
Manson's interpretation was a good bit removed from the writers' intent.
You know, I may be opening up great big can of worms here, BUT:

First off, I love The Beatles. And I think Manson and his followers were nutjobs that are entirely responsible for their own actions. But, that being said, the song that really was the major motivation behind what happened was Piggies, which could indeed be viewed (by a sick mind) as a call to action to do exactly what happened. "Can you see the little piggies, playing in the dirt [...] what they need's a damn good whacking! Etc."... It's a childish song, perhaps played for satire but nonetheless full of invective against a supposed rich or ruling class blaming them for the ills of a generation that simply wouldn't get off their jaded a**es. It was one thing for a rich Beatle to sing it, it was another for someone like Manson to put it into practice. Helter Skelter was just a song about going down a slide, fer crying out loud.

Fred

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well as far as the DVD is concerned, I'd say picture & sound quality both average. This was probably my most anticipated DVD of the year and I'm disappointed. Also picture is 4x3 not widescreen. To make matters worse is all the interviews and behind the scenes footage in between songs....I hate when they do that. I also think they edited a couple of songs like during "My Love" I think they chopped out a verse and the guitar break. Also there is a segment where he and the band went to some facility to play music with gorillas's (I'm not kidding!), Typical Mccartney. On the plus side there are alot of great songs, I think about 30.

Oh Well, I'm Rambling.....thats my 2 cents.

Buzz

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
A sick interpretation of an artistic statement by John Lennon does not make John wrong for being creative in that way. How many people are dead because of the literal reading and misinterpretation of holy books. Does that make the particular prophet a bad guy? Of course not.

Why the hell are so many concert DVD's still 4X3?

I'm sure I'll pick this one up eventually, but I don't feel the need to rush out and get it after the poor reviews here. Thanks for the tip offs everyone.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Too much Wings stuff, I prefer both pre and post wings songs. Also agree with there being too many stars. Whats with that?

Jon

·
Registered
795 Posts
I watched the SD broadcast on the digital channel on ABC the other night and watched the DVD today. The SD broadcast looked better than this DVD. And the sound was better also. The DD sound on the DVD is very thin and little surround effects. Large venue concerts can sound good with proper rear support. I had hoped the DVD would be just the concert with all the supplemental junk in a separate track. Wrong. The junk is mixed in just like the broadcast.

A friend went to the concert and raved it was the best concert ever. I looked forward to the DVD and am disappointed. Should have rented first. The Costco price was only 14.99 so not a big loss.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great, great concert--the best I've ever attended, and I'm not a die-hard McCartney fan. But a very mediocre DVD. I was really looking forward to this one. Couldn't wait to re-live the experience. But both the picture quality and sound on this DVD are below average. I thought the DTS mix was the best of the three, but I had difficulty accessing it. Yet, I'm glad I have it. Sure, I wish it were better. But the songs and performance are still terrific. I'll just have to use another concert DVD for a demo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.