AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
Please put question marks in the subjects of questions.
Got it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
'Tis a shame that the only network that provides 5.1 sound on a daily basis would not provide it here. If I had to choose, a good 5.1 sound mix would be better than HD.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Local signal here is showing 5.1 on my receiver... but they show 5.1 on everything... even their local news... Anybody else getting 5.1?

BTW... analog PQ just soooo sucks...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
'Tis a shame that the only network that provides 5.1 sound on a daily basis would not provide it here. If I had to choose, a good 5.1 sound mix would be better than HD.
Maybe it's just me, but I've been extremely unimpressed with the "5.1" sound from ABC. I don't ever watch their movie broadcasts so I can't really comment on those. But for the few dramas I watch on ABC, I think the sound is lacking in dynamics and detail, and has a boxy, compressed sound to it. And even though they may have the DD encoder set for 5.1, the sound is nowhere near the level of what you get from DVD's. I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking 2-channel source audio, processing it as Dolby Prologic, and then encoding that as DD5.1 for insertion into the ATSC stream.

CBS' Dolby Surround-encoded 2 channel audio sounds much better IMHO, especially when processed with ProLogic 2 by my pre/pro. Better bass, detail, dynamics, you name it. I also notice that I have to turn the sound up a little bit with CBS to achieve the same average "loudness" as ABC, which further supports the notion that the audio from CBS has better dynamics and isn't as compressed (dynamically, I'm not talking about data compression).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.