AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press the “PAUSE†button, my Showstopper no longer pauses the show, but instead places a full-screen advertisement on my television screen.

Previously the “PAUSE†option acted to PAUSE the show like on a VCR recorder.

I have contacted PANASONIC about the defect. They were unaware that a competitive product was being sold using their Panasonic Showstopper brand. Fortunately, they promised to repair the unit under its warranty (less shipping).

It might be helpful to Panasonic to let them know of the problem if other units are similarly afflicted. If your unit is still within the limits of its warranty, you may also be able to get the unit fixed without charge.

If other SHOWSTOPPERs are exhibiting the same odd behavior, you can discuss it with Panasonic at 800-211-7262 Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. EST; Saturday & Sunday 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.

They supplied me with a return authorization on the first call.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Okay, so I've deleted my previous reply, and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you haven't read any of the pause ads threads here on the forum in the last two years.

The pause ad isn't a defect. It's a software feature. Replacing your unit won't help at all. All you will do is get yourself a B-stock refurbished ShowStopper to replace the one you presumably bought new, and shortly thereafter you'll see the ads on that one as well.

Now, I'm not certain whehter Sonic|blue really made arrangements with Panasonic to show ads for the new 4000 units on ShowStopper boxes, but if so that's all there is to it. I wouldn't expect their phone support people to know a "pause ad" from a pickled herring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sam---

I may be wrong, but you may want to consult with Panasonic again before returning your Showstopper. The ad is one placed there by ReplayTV to convert you from your Panasonic brand machine to their newest Replay brand unit.

The change is probably not really considered a defect, but a purposeful modification of the Showstopper product.

The Replay machine offers features its competitor does not. Replay’s unit is a much more powerful machine than the Panasonic one. (For example, compare the record time.)

Hopefully, the ads will disappear on their own anyway saving you the trouble of returning the unit.

If you do have to return it, it will be interesting to hear how the repair proceeds--- make sure to update us on the progress and results.

Jessie

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
sam,

please go ahead & return it...waste your own time & money on an incredibly trivial matter

the ad doesn't pop up for 20+ seconds...and you can easily make it go away by pressing exit...but if in your world you feel this is so important that you must send it off...by all means do so

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Guys, guys, guys, lighten up. This is intended to be a sacrcastic post. And I'm all for that in any form.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for your comments and help.

I have been told by Panasonic that I am to receive my original unit back, not a refurb. That was good news.

And, I was promised, the unit will be as purchased. No more ads for a Replay-brand unit when the "PAUSE" button is pressed.

Should be back early this week.

Again, thanks to all.

Sam

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Hey FreezeFrame maybe that red rat of yours can "zap" a troll and we can have a pickle party? Then again maybe all pause screens have stopped now on the showstoppers I don't have one to check that. But isn't Panasonic a partner and didn't they manufacture that very 4000?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once again the Showstopper’s pause function has ceased to display the paused show. Although it came back from Matsushita fully repaired, it has lapsed back with this old problem.

When I first called in the problem, Matsushita insisted that it could not be broadcasting the competing unit’s ad. I guess that when they received the unit any doubt as to the altered behaviour was dispelled.

I suppose I’ll be missing it for another couple of weeks while they tune it up again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You sure sound sincere.

Did you read the other replies?

The "ad" is a SOFTWARE controlled behavior.

Every night your Showstopper will dial in to get its channel guide and any software updates.

This includes the screen saver/ads.

When one comes up, just press "exit" and it will obediently depart.

Panasonic may be involved in the manufacture of the new 4000s, I don't know. What I do know is that they are NO LONGER making any showstoppers. Therefore, the 4000 can't really be a competing product. They have had no trouble selling the remaining Showstoppers in inventory. In fact they are almost impossible to get. I know I worked hard to find six around Christmas.

If you kidding, let me know so I can lower my blood pressure, If not I can't help you. The only way to never see the screen saver ads would be to never hook your returned unit to a phone line. Of course, then you'll never have a channel guide again. Your choice I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.