AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just encountered a small problem on my PVHS-2000. This is a refurbed unit I got back from Panasonic. If I pause my live TV and play it back the video freezes, works, freezes, works, etc......

Recorded programs so far are fine (EXCEPT for stuff recorded in HIGH Quality mode). This does the same thing as above.

Before I go back at Panasonic (which I will do reluctantly after my previous experience) is there anything else I could do to resolve this. I gather this is a similar problem that others are experiencing after reviewing several of the posts.

Again I apologize if this was previously answered......

·
Registered
849 Posts
First thing to try is unplug it for 10 mins or so. Have you tried that already?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Unplugging has solved my non response to remote control problem so it has helped some problems.

I've found that deleting any recorded show that doesn't play correctly clears up the situation as least on my showstopper. When that doesn't help do a 7-7-7 zones and reset factory default. You lose all data. For the persistent stutter problem where nothing helps, the hard drive is suspect. I say this hesitantly since there are several people trying to solve this problem by low level formatting their hard drive and reloading the operating system. It's too early to know if the persistent stutters original hard drives can be resurrected back to good operating order. One person has reported that replacing his hard drive fixed his.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mooseman

Recorded programs so far are fine (EXCEPT for stuff recorded in HIGH Quality mode). This does the same thing as above.

Just so there is no confusion delete your high quality recordings and then do a soft reboot. Please let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already did the reboot thing and deleted the high quality recordings. Still same problem associated with Pausing live TV.

Would I be correct in assuming that the pause function actually uses the best quality setting during the record.

Just frustrating after the hassles/length of time I had with Panasonic just getting a Repaired/Refurbished unit back. Took almost 11 weeks in the end. Not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon.

Also if this does turn out to be a hard drive problem I doubt I can get a good image as I had intended.....

Guess I can try the ZONE 7-7-7 reset and see what happens. Fortunately I won't lose anything I could live without.....

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
At this point in the stutter free showstopper quest, I am going to assume if the showstopper boots the operating system is O'K. What may change that tune is when it is reported that mirroring your old image to a new low level formatted drive immediately returns a stuttering problem. Then mirroring a known good image would be in order. I can help you with an image if needed. If you are interested I suspect high hard drive temperature as the source of the disk/data damage that cause stuttering. The hard drive is rated up to 135 deg f max temp. I suspect that temperature is reached regularly.

[Would I be correct in assuming that the pause function actually uses the best quality setting during the record.]

Don't know the answer, sorry.

Keep in mind your showstopper needs room to breath and avoidance of high air temp like being right above a heater outlet or direct sunlight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the units get hot but unless Panasonic sent me a BAD refurbed unit this happened almost immediately. I do have the unit in a well ventilated area and fans blowing on it constantly. Connected to an UPS to take care of power problems.

Looks like the stuttering is primarily associated with HIGH QUALITY mode. My guess is the live PAUSE uses HQ mode.

Perhaps it is a bad image...and any help in that area would be greatly appreciated...... I would do a low-level format and restore that good image......

·
Registered
667 Posts
I too have noticed the stuterring problem within the last week. When I pause..and come back later to play...the broadcast freezes for a second...then returns....freezes...returns. I have the 2000 Showstopper also...about 14 months old. I hope my HD is not going bad...though for the past 4-5 months the whining noise on the HD has been much more noticeable than when the unit was new.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just thought I'd throw in my two cents for whatever it's worth. I had the exact same problem. I believe (but I may be wrong)pausing live TV defaults to record at medium quality. That coupled with the stuttering at HQ is exactly what mine was doing (although I can't record at medium quality without stuttering as well) I'm in the midst of doing a low level format of my hard drive and then recopying the disk image. Hopefully this, coupled with the fan I'm going to install will fix this problem. It finally got to the point where I was getting some stuttering in extended quality recordings, too. I'll post a new thread if I manage to fix this problem. Good luck, I sympathize.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Right now, before making major changes in your hard drive; I'd make sure it was a machine problem. I thought I was having problems and switched to a direct feed from my cable company. I have digital cable. We're currently going through a high sun spot activity cycle. This causes the same symptoms as stuttering.

I believe that pause functions at the quality you set as default record.

I don't doubt it's a possible hard drive problem. But am just saying, look at the source first. If the source has the problem. . .then blame the sun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Live TV is always recorded at high quality, so when you pause and then unpause (watching live TV delayed), the ReplayTV is being taxed to the max, because it is simultaneously playing in high quality the stuff you're seeing and recording in high quality the stuff that is being broadcast at that moment.

So if the ReplayTV is even thinking about stuttering, that's when I'll do it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
skleiser,

So are you indicating that the unit can't do what it was intended to do? Or are you saying that when it is taxed to the max it will either generate too much heat or pick up whatever is wrong with the hard drive? Just wondering.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mooseman,

Just a question: If this unit is a refurb from Panasonic, then it is still a warranteed device, yes? If you start mucking about with the HD, doesn't that automatically invalidate your warranty (and mean you no longer have any recourse with them, 11 weeks turnaround time or not, for repair)?

I have a PV-HS2000 with a persistent (to the point of being useless for any recording or "live" TV viewing) stuttering problem [ Link to my previously entered "issue" on AVS ], and I'm in the process of yanking the HD and installing a new replacement drive. As soon as I determine whether that fixes the problem or not, I'll go back and muck with the 30GB that came with the unit. By virtue of the fact that I've cracked the case, I know my warranty is void...but I was past the 1yr timeframe anyway...

Just thought I'd ask...

David.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As it stands my warranty will run out in November. Unfortunately per the Panasonic folks my warranty doesn't get extended to account for the refurbed unit. Apparently the refurbed unit's warranty date is the same as my original unit's date.

I may or may not wait for resolution from Panasonic and am hesitant to deal with them at all after ALL the hassles I had with their DIGITAL DIVISION customer service. (ie NO RETURNED CALLS, varying statuses 2-4 weeks to 4 to 6 weeks to 6 to 10 weeks, zero response to e-mail enquiries, etc).

Believe me I've already contacted them about the replacement unit I received. Fortunately a few of the folks ARE actually customer oriented after I gave them my plight and escalated matters.

If there is a fix action that actually takes care of the problem WITHOUT having to deal with Panasonic Digital Division I am more than willing to try it.

Who knows I'm more than will to accept one of the new models 4000 series after my recent experiences!!!!!! ..... :)

I await their response on my refurbed unit with baited breath........ More than likely I will allow them to fix it and be without a unit for 6 months...... What a choice to make!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skleiser
So if the ReplayTV is even thinking about stuttering, that's when I'll do it!
Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I had the stutter problem and SonicBlue diagnosed it as a disk going bad. The replacement has been great so far.

So, in light of that, maybe I should have said "So if the hard disk is even thinking about going bad, that's when It'll first show it." (meaning when it's working the hardest - reading and writing at the same time -- at full throttle/high quality).

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Update on Mooseman, I've been helping Mooseman. So far Powermax "thorough test" passed, did low level format and mirrored original image back onto drive. Still stutters when pause is used. We're going to try loading a known good image tonight.

I didn't hear from Mooseman so no new information on fixing his showstopper persistant stutter with a new disk image.

I think Moosemans showstopper is an extreme case. It's a refurb unit that never worked correctly. I expect we can learn a lot from his experience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the stuttering problem is caused by the new PAUSE screen that was downloaded recently. I reimaged my drive to the pre-RTV4000 pause screen image and it worked fine until the unit downloaded 2 nights later. It worked great without a stutter until then. I reloaded the sw again and it was glitch free until the pause screen showed up. Anyone with any s/w expertise care to comment?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Messenger
I think the stuttering problem is caused by the new PAUSE screen that was downloaded recently. I reimaged my drive to the pre-RTV4000 pause screen image and it worked fine until the unit downloaded 2 nights later. It worked great without a stutter until then. I reloaded the sw again and it was glitch free until the pause screen showed up. Anyone with any s/w expertise care to comment?
This is very interesting. Is anyone paying attention to what Tim observed?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I've been trying to figure this stutter problem out. It's not new. I've seen it happen to my showstopper as far back as June. Way before pause ads. The trademark cyclical CPU% dip down to 5% is always seen during the stutter episode. The increase stutter reports is likely due to an increase in showstopper ownership. I don't have the answer but I lean towards this being a showstopper hardware issue.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've been stutter free for over a week now. What did I do? Well...those recorded shows that were giving me problems are now deleted. I also noticed my ReplayTV had given the shows incorrect episdoe titles (Andromeda was one of the shows.) So...something got screwed up somewhere and heck if I know where. I wouldn't totally discount the new pause screens...or some type of software update that may have contributed to the issue. I can say the new shows I've been recording over the past 2 weeks have been stutter free.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.