AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my HTPC up and running last night and connected to my Sony HS10 via DVI. Got 1:1 pixel mapping working, Theatertek, and FFDShow.

All I can say is WOW!!! The HTPC over DVI is a MAJOR improvement over my old interlaced Toshiba DVD player with component. The image is much sharper and more detailed. Scaling artifacts and such are a thing of the past. I never knew DVD could look so good!

Anyway, all is not perfect though. I have noticed a strange "stutter" that almost always seems to occur during transitions between scenes. The video will get jerky for just a split second, and then all will be fine.

What causes this? Why does it seem to only do it during scene transitions (i.e., immediately following the "fade-to-black" between scenes)? What's the fix?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--Scott

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've been using TheaterTek since version 1.0 was first released and never saw this. Then it happened on two movies in a row a couple weeks ago. As you said, it seemed to happen during scene transitions, not during slow pans where you usually would be most likely to have problems.

I'm not sure what changed on my system to make this start happening. But I decided to restore a Ghost image from a month or two ago and that fixed the problem, so I have to think it's some kind of software conflict or configuration issue. I just don't know exactly what. One thing that occurred to me is that it could be happening at chapter breaks and maybe be related to flag detection, but I never had a chance to test that theory.

You might want to post over on the TheaterTek forum and see if anybody else has seen this problem or if maybe Andrew has an idea what's going on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually was able to verify that FFDSHOW is causing the pause/stutter. Disabling FFDSHOW in Theatertek yields smooth playback. I also confirmed that the problem is occuring only during the transitions between chapters. Weird!

Any ideas??

I guess I could try a different version of FFDSHOW (I'm using the 20030424 alpha version). What's the best version to use (i.e., most stable and bug free)?

Thanks!

--Scott

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I removed FFDSHOW and installed the December build. This seems to have fixed the problem with the stutter/pause between chapters. Hooray!

Also seems to have fixed some issues I was having with menu navigation on some DVDs (Monsters Inc. for one), and with rewind/fast forward.

I'm a happy camper!

--Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.