AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After purusing posts re: outputting HDMI to a TV and projector, my options seem to be either buy a less expensive and hope a splitter works (it seems to be hit or miss) or pay roughly 2X for a receiver for the second output. I am actually considering buying a cheaper receiver (4 HDMI in and 1 out) and plugging and unplugging the HDMI when going from TV to PJ. I would habve seperate cables for the TV and PJ and the switching would occur at the receiver rather than pulling the cable out of one display device and plugging it into the other.

I know it is an inconvenience and will, over time, wear out the out reciver HDMI output, but I think it makes better economic sense to replace the receiver in a few years (when hopefully 2 HDMI outputs will be available at better prices) than overspend simply for the extra output.

Any one else doing this?

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird92660 /forum/post/17045980

After purusing posts re: outputting HDMI to a TV and projector, my options seem to be either buy a less expensive and hope a splitter works (it seems to be hit or miss) or pay roughly 2X for a receiver for the second output. I am actually considering buying a cheaper receiver (4 HDMI in and 1 out) and plugging and unplugging the HDMI when going from TV to PJ. I would habve seperate cables for the TV and PJ and the switching would occur at the receiver rather than pulling the cable out of one display device and plugging it into the other.

I know it is an inconvenience and will, over time, wear out the out reciver HDMI output, but I think it makes better economic sense to replace the receiver in a few years (when hopefully 2 HDMI outputs will be available at better prices) than overspend simply for the extra output.

Any one else doing this?

Unfortunately, HDMI jacks are very fragile and likely won't stand up to this treatment for long. I have used an HDMI splitter/distributor and it worked just fine and cost less than $100. Take a look at monoprice.com or centralcomputers.com. I got the 4x2 splitter/distributor at Central Computers. It worked well with my TV and projector. The Harmony remote database even had the control codes for it, so I was able to add it to my Harmony One remote.

On the other hand, with receivers with 2 HDMI outputs, you get lots of other nice features as well including more powerful amps, usually better room auto equalization, and frequently better video upconversion and processing. However, if these features are not of significant value to you, then a splitter makes sense.

Good luck,

Ira

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I agree with Ira that HDMI jacks are too fragile to withstand much use.

If you HAVE to go the plug-unplug way, get a short "HDMI Extender" or a 90 degree jack adapter -- anything so your plugging and unplugging will wear out something you can afford to replace.

If I were in your situation I would get OPPO Digital's HDMI switch
http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

which is a higher quality switch that those mentioned previously.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Given that the plug and unplug route won't work for long, I'm thinking about the Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH, which seems to be the lowest priced dual-HDMI output receiver available. The pricing is about the same as I would pay for a mid-range receiver plus an HDMI splitter.

Any feedback on the choice of receiver?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird92660 /forum/post/17048179

Thanks for the replies. Given that the plug and unplug route won't work for long, I'm thinking about the Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH, which seems to be the lowest priced dual-HDMI output receiver available. The pricing is about the same as I would pay for a mid-range receiver plus an HDMI splitter.

Any feedback on the choice of receiver?

T:

What's your budget.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird92660 /forum/post/17048866

I'd like to be below $1000.

I would strongly suggest you find a B stock SC-07 then or a deal on one of the stragglers at Best Buy. It has exactly what you need and will sound for most superior to the VSX model you are looking at.

The SC-07 is brilliant, runs cool and should serve you well.

Try the following links for purchases:

1) www.unitedonlineshopping.com

Where are you shopping - what state and city area?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tbird, I'm in the same situation as you. What was your solution? I'm trying to input component Wii and HDMI xbox360, Blue Ray, TivoHD output via HDMI to two displays: Optima HD20 projector and Vizio VX52LF 52" LCD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts