AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paypal is now accepted as a way to buy MS points throught your PC only. Not through the 360. US only.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/...-accounts.aspx

"

If you are in the United States, you can now use PayPal as a method of payment for the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

You can use PayPal to buy Microsoft Points without having to associate your credit card information to your Xbox LIVE account. If you are new to PayPal, please sign up first and then follow the steps below to associate your account with Xbox LIVE.

It's pretty easy and just like adding a credit card to your account. Sign in to Xbox.com and head to the account summary page . From there choose Manage Payment Options (from the left navigation menu) then click Add a new PayPal Account. Follow the instructions and you'll be set up in no time.

A couple of things to point out:

PayPal is currently supported for Xbox LIVE users in the U.S. only.

PayPal can only be used to purchase Microsoft Points on Xbox.com .

PayPal accounts are not available for purchasing Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360 console.

You can associate multiple Pay Pal accounts with your Xbox LIVE account. "

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Interesting although I will say I'm a bit annoyed by how closed the seem to want to keep Live on the 360. It would, in my opinion, be a very huge plus to have real monetary values that you can pay via cc or Paypal through the 360 version of the service. I understand strict quality control and all but I think the payment system needs to be brought into the present time. I'm pretty over the whole "MS Points" requirement.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/16957272

Interesting although I will say I'm a bit annoyed by how closed the seem to want to keep Live on the 360. It would, in my opinion, be a very huge plus to have real monetary values that you can pay via cc or Paypal through the 360 version of the service. I understand strict quality control and all but I think the payment system needs to be brought into the present time. I'm pretty over the whole "MS Points" requirement.

meh, 20 bucks is 20 bucks, and will always be 20 bucks.... sometimes i can get 1600 points for 10 or 15 bucks, and a game priced at 20 bucks no longer costs 20 bucks.... i'd rather stick with MS points.

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/16957253

how do you find the time, and the news, and stay on top?

Thanks!

lol. to be honest that bit of info was up a whole....10 minutes before i found it!

also i have like 10 different news sources...and i click everyone of them...all day...FML

·
Registered
9,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/16957283

You can. You can use your credit card to purchase things in dollar amounts on live now, it was part of the new update we just had.

That said I have yet to try to it.

I corrected you on this in another thread but you seem to have ignored that. This only applies to Games On Demand. Could you please provide me with a link if I am incorrect?

·
Banned
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^if i read major nelson's post correctly you can use paypal to buy MS points only.
also maybe if we wait until tuesday (till the update) maybe it'll open up the ability to buy anything with an option of either paypal, credit, or MS points

nevermind, thats just speculating.

as it stands paypal is only for buying MS points

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn /forum/post/16958413

lol. to be honest that bit of info was up a whole....10 minutes before i found it!

also i have like 10 different news sources...and i click everyone of them...all day...FML

Im glad you do, as pretty much all gaming sites are blocked by my employer. And my days are so long now, that when I get home I dont even feel like turning on my computer.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
the funny-money thing is great, though.

It means one is able to buy the cards at one of BBY's 10% off weekends or whenever they go on sale at a store. PSN cards can't ever go on sale as they are based on a $ denomination...unless there is a PSN sale or something.

With the funny money, you can get the points on sale AND use the points when an item goes on sale!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16957965

meh, 20 bucks is 20 bucks, and will always be 20 bucks.... sometimes i can get 1600 points for 10 or 15 bucks, and a game priced at 20 bucks no longer costs 20 bucks.... i'd rather stick with MS points.

Well when you have 9ms points left in your account that are doing you no good it's annoying and makes the appeal of just going the PSN route and using real monetary values quite high. If it was limited to Xbox I'd be more willing to accept it but they integrate it into Zune and that's what screws it up. The values aren't the same so if you mix and match services you're left with odd "change" like I have. I don't want to keep having to buy points on Zune to get that rounded out. I know that's the point (to keep you spending), but I don't have to like it. MS needs to change, the sooner the better.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
9ms points is 11 cents.... BFD.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
BFD?

I guess I was wrong about using Credit Card to pay for things.

I like the Microsoft points. It allows for small transactions that would be hard to do with a credit card. Such as those under a few dollars.

I think people get to worked up. So what if you have an odd amount of MS points. I like the fact that every once and awhile after buying points to rent a movie I have enough MS points left over to rent another one on a rainy day. Almost feels like a free movie. Plus with MS points I can buy a bunch one day and then later in the month if I'm getting tight on my credit card I still have some MS points I can use to rent a movie.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/16968649

Well when you have 9ms points left in your account that are doing you no good it's annoying and makes the appeal of just going the PSN route and using real monetary values quite high. If it was limited to Xbox I'd be more willing to accept it but they integrate it into Zune and that's what screws it up. The values aren't the same so if you mix and match services you're left with odd "change" like I have. I don't want to keep having to buy points on Zune to get that rounded out. I know that's the point (to keep you spending), but I don't have to like it. MS needs to change, the sooner the better.

Actually, I have .02 left in my PSN account and I've NEVER had an odd amount of MS points in my account. I must have missed the memo that says that 99% of stuff on the XBLM is round numbers and 99% of stuff on the PSN ends in .99, thereby rendering your argument a winner... in backwards world! Wow, that was immature. (Actually how DID you end up with 9 MS points... I don't even think I've seen anything on XBLM that doesn't end in a 0.)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well on PSN, you can fund your wallet with any amount...as long as it is over $5.00.

So, you could clear out your points if you had a few cents left...but you'd have to buy something else to do so.

IMO, it's not a big deal to me. I just hope the points *and* the content carry forward with the next model Xbox.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
lol so hostile. We see things differently. I've never had change left over on PSN because I buy in exact amounts, unlike Live. I use a Zune and have Zune Marketplace where the purchase rates are a bit different so it screws up my balance on Xbox Marketplace. I know it all works out in the end as long as I keep buying stuff but that's not the poi....oh forget it, you're right, bfd.

*shoots self*

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/16969923

(Actually how DID you end up with 9 MS points... I don't even think I've seen anything on XBLM that doesn't end in a 0.)

I'm curious about this as well? Is that even possible?

At first, I didn't like points (conversions to figure out how much stuff is). But then I realized with PSN, if I wanted $20 in my account, it costs me $20. Several times each year, I can load up on points, and $20 (1600 points) only cost me $15.

It's like getting $5 for free! I don't know why you think it would be so great to spend $20 to get $20 at PSN, when you can spend $15 and get $20 in points (if you pay attention when the deals are out).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts