AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might buy a Sharp projector from someone who accepts Paypal. Just wondering , if I use Paypal (with my credit card), am I covered if the projector never shows up, or if it is damaged? How about returns?

Vas

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Paypal is out for itself and does not protect you. You will have to rely on your creditcard company for help. If you want to be sure contact your creditcard company by email and ask if you are protected-this way you have a record of their response. Paypal is the merchant of record and any chargebacks are made to Paypal and they will fight you tooth and nail if the need to make a chargeback occurs. If you are considering buying the Sharp 9000 from an unauthorized or gray market sellers -don't-the savings are not worth it. For more information on just how slimy Paypal is go here: http://www.paypalsucks.com

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
As someone who has made 101 online transactions and suffered a few stupid mistakes I have a couple of words of advice...

First I do

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I recently ordered a projector through Paypal to an online vendor who I won't name now but may post a warning in all of the forums if I don't get satisfaction in the next week.

I cancelled my order after a month and a half because the projector never came. It has now been another month and a half and I still don't have a refund from the vendor.

I have no recourse through PayPal because they require you to file a complaint within 30 days of Payment. I also don't see a recourse through my Credit Card company because it has been several months.

I really don't know what I can do at this point and feel at the mercy of the vendor who keeps telling me the check is in the mail. The only thing I can think of doing is posting on the forums to warn people of this online vendor, but I haven't done that yet because I am hoping that my patience and politeness will pay off shortly.

My advice to you is avoid paypal unless you really know the person who is recieving the funds. Otherwise you could kiss your money goodbye :mad:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Phil-

I would definitely initiate a chargeback with your credit card company because it may not be too late. Here is an example again where PayPal is only too happy to sign up dishonest sellers, take your money and then do nothing to make whole buyers who they helped scam out of money. Yes PayPal is as guilty as the seller who scammed you. PayPal enabled this transaction by not screening out dishonest merchants. I have a regular credit card merchant account and had to submit to a real application process to be approved which includes showing that I have the resources to make refunds. Buyers need to make PayPal accountable for their lax application process by initiating chargebacks when ripped off. If PayPal gets enough chargebacks then they may start being more careful of who they approve.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow !! so far i have not heard anything positive about paypal. Im glad i asked about it here prior to putting in my order.

phil... just wondering who your vendor is... if you can , please send me a pvt msg. either way, good luck to you in obtaining a refund. thanks

vas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.